Perhaps I need a debriefing?

Wackie

Yikes. I'm not looking forward to getting my new licence.

I definitely have not gotten any better looking in the last 8 years. :?

Yikes. I'm not looking forward to getting my new licence.

I definitely have not gotten any better looking in the last 8 years. :?

Mine was bad enough they taped the picture side down to the paper. So that the back was showing. That's just harsh. :shock:

Mine still says under 21, I'm to cheap to get a new one when this one hasn't expired yet. Even though it says not 21 until March 19, 2005 pepole still sit there and do the math. :)

If for some bizarre reason you still feel uncomfortable or begin to obsess on this incident:
  • CISD has been shown to reduce incidence of post-traumatic stress disorders in people who felt like they needed it. People who dealt with problems in other ways or didn't feel like revisiting the memories did better without it. Those who went through CISD despite not wanting to were shown to have greater incidents of PSTD. So, it's certainly not snake oil. Some people NEED something like this, but others will suffer harm from it.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I think I've got it down now. What I think I did was trust that the others were doing their jobs and I focused on mine and was able to block out the rest of the scene, to the extent of being able to perform my job (as well as I could lol). I just happened to get one of the better patients who also did not require the care the others did.

I need some experience under my belt to aid in making judgement calls like some of the 15 year vetrans could on scene as well as more training.

Looking back, I could have done a better assessment, and there are a few other things I know I could have done better. My next run, I'll keep that in mind and make sure I use the experience to do better.

As for now, I have something else to obsess about. I just got my new driver's licence in the mail. :shock:

Why they let me out in public, I don't know.

Sounds to me like you've worked thourgh your feelings there. That's great. I went through this myself after my first MCI. Mine was due to blizzard conditions and I was really glad that the driver was my EMS director becuase I didn't feel that I had to question any judgement calls that had to be made about transport.

Remember that being able to focus on your pt is great and if you can keep a sense of major things going on around you at the same time that's best. I'm not talking about who's doing what. I'm talking about vehicle movement and if there are others working that you've got to be careful not to trip over, step on, or get in the way of.

Good luck. :thumbright:

Meh...sounds to me like you were just calm, cool, collected and able to handle chaos...which is a good thing. Important thing to remember is not to "stuff" your feelings. If you truly feel ok and like you were unaffected by this, and are wondering why...that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's kind of a gift...of a certain sort. I have that. I consider it a blessing. Not much excites me, unless it involves kids...I don't get all worked up. I just stay focused, calm, and do my job. Even when it DOES involve kids...I don't let it bother me on scene. I am able to hold it until later in most cases. There have been a few times that I really had to bite back the tears, or had to walk away for a second... Some wonder how I stay calm during bad calls. I can't even answer that. I just do.

As long as you revisit the scene/situation in your mind and understand why things were being done, and are all cool with the order of it, and have any questions you may have answered, then the absence of any emotion is, like I said, not a bad thing. If anything, it sounds like you are on your way to possibly becoming very good at what you do. Calm heads prevail.... Ask yourself this... Do you want someone handling your emergency that is an emotional mess and frozen in their tracks, unable to think clearly? Uh uh....me either...

xoxoxo