Statistics to support ALS

IslandEMS

I am from an Island in Michigan. We have an ER on the island but no admitting hospital without transport. We are currently LALS and looking at becoming BLS, ALS, or Staying LALS. We have a limited number of runs (250) with 15-20 critical needing immediate transport. Arranging transport can be difficult do to weather, and early detection and treatments can save considerable time. The year round population is only 500 with over 800,000 visitors in the summer. We currently have 1 EMT, 4 EMT-I, and 3 EMT-P available to cover shifts.

As a staff we want to become ALS and know what benefit it can bring to some patients. Early detection of an MI would increase our ability to get them transported to a cath table by almost an hour.

I am looking for statistics to support becoming ALS or any other ideas to help bring better patient care with a limited staff pool. I am currently searching the net but looking out to the world of EMT City for anyone who has already collected some good statistics to support what we do.

Thanks.

Spell Checked to ward off dyslexia (I hope it helps)

There is a FD in a college town that requires all of their personnel to be medics within 1 year of date of hire (if not already a medic). They even pay for medic school. HOWEVER, the chief absolutely refuses to put an ALS protocol into effect. How stupid is that?

There is a FD in a college town that requires all of their personnel to be medics within 1 year of date of hire (if not already a medic). They even pay for medic school. HOWEVER, the chief absolutely refuses to put an ALS protocol into effect. How stupid is that?

:shock:

Island, maybe you guys should just get one of these...

04%20Surf%20Rescue.jpg

But seriously, what is your transport time like to your local ED? Where is the delay in, for example, detecting an MI early? Clearly being able to do a 12-lead in the field is in your favor, but are patients not being properly triaged in the ED, or are wait times for physician contact too long?

I would love the sponsorship to go with the photo. The problem we have is long patient removal time from buildings. Most buildings are 100 years old with stairwells to match. The ability to treat a pt. before trying to move them for 20 min. (before getting to the rig) would help. Trying to deliver a code is just moving a corps. The other side of the coin is our ER has 2 critical beds. With two critical Pt. we are pretty maxed out. We don't usually have more RN and no MD that we can call in. When we have to transport to a regional center that can take 15 minutes or 2 hours to get set up and get the patient moving off the island. I hope this helps. We just had a consulting firm tell the city that we should go BLS due to staffing and just "load and go" to the ER. I don't know the possibility of being BLS with some ALS protocols as in the post above but it is worth a look i guess. Any other ideas or anyone else that has a solution they are working with I would appreciate the time to talk to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.