Eligibility for NY EMT Exam after Non-NY EMT Course?

Hello, all,

Does anyone out there know whether someone can take the NY EMT-b exam after taking the appropriate CPR/AED course from the AHA (and obtaining a valid certificate for it) and completing an EMT course that is NOT GIVEN IN NY, BUT RATHER IN ANOTHER STATE, and having completed clinicals in that other state as well?

I have called several NY State EMS places about this question, but I cannot seem to get a return call.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Hey EMTuKnowMe, if you go through the process anytime soon, could you just let me know any info? I have to transfer a PA state EMT-B certification to NY at the end of August.

Yeah and that link is good. If you're from one of the surrounding states I've been told it's pretty easy to get reciprocity...one or two forms and like $25 fee.

Anyway if you could let me know how it goes, it'd be really appreciated!

Hey EMTuKnowMe, if you go through the process anytime soon, could you just let me know any info? I have to transfer a PA state EMT-B certification to NY at the end of August.

Yeah and that link is good. If you're from one of the surrounding states I've been told it's pretty easy to get reciprocity...one or two forms and like $25 fee.

Anyway if you could let me know how it goes, it'd be really appreciated!

If I go the reciprocity route, I will definitely post about my experiences. However, I am trying to AVOID having to go through the red tape of applying for reciprocity, and just take the NY state examination. There are others with whom I work that have already expressed their doubts as to whether my education is on par with that given by the New York State system, and they see reciprocity as a back door loop hole.

In any event, I thank everyone responding to my post, and for the links referenced. Be safe, everyone.

May I ask how you avoid the reciprocity route? Do you know the definition of the word? It is taught in every EMT class I have ever taught and is usually found on the NREMT exam as well. Sorry, but you have me confused saying you wish to avoid the process. Why? How is it a backdoor route? That makes absolutely no sense. Every state I have been licensed in, is because I applied for reciprocity. I never viewed it as a backdoor route, only as the correct way to move from one state to another.

One entry found for reciprocity.

Main Entry: rec·i·proc·i·ty

Pronunciation: "re-s&-'prä-s(&-)tE

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -ties

1 : the quality or state of being reciprocal : mutual dependence, action, or influence

2 : a mutual exchange of privileges; specifically : a recognition by one of two countries or institutions of the validity of licenses or privileges granted by the other

May I ask how you avoid the reciprocity route? Do you know the definition of the word? It is taught in every EMT class I have ever taught and is usually found on the NREMT exam as well. Sorry, but you have me confused saying you wish to avoid the process. Why? How is it a backdoor route? That makes absolutely no sense. Every state I have been licensed in, is because I applied for reciprocity. I never viewed it as a backdoor route, only as the correct way to move from one state to another.

New York State does not recognize the validity of the national registry exam. NY will, nonetheless, allow an EMT with a certificate from another state to apply for reciprocity.

I plan to take the national registry exam, actually, this wed. But I also wanted to take the NY State exam, since there are people with whom I work that think the manner in which I am obtaining my NY State Certification is a back door method and somehow inferor to obtaining a NY state EMT certificate vis a vis passing the NY State Exam.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.