Advice about Anatomy and Physiology course

EMT6388

Hi am I looking for some advice about more education. I am currently an EMT-B (PCP trained, I'm Canadian). I LOVE my job, but I just want to learn more. I am considering taking an Anatomy and Physiology course (university entrance level). I'd be taking it through home study sine I live 2 and a half hours away from the closest urban center. Are there any people here at EMT City that have taken this course or one like it that could share there experience with me. What I'm really wondering, am I biting off more than I can chew for the level of education that I'm at right now? I've heard that it's a difficult course, but I'm up for the challenge. Any advice welcome.

In BC , before you can take the pcp1 program through the Justice Institute you must have clinical science as a prereq. Where did you get your PCP? Im quite sure thats standard in Alberta as well? But i dont know for sure. I hear the anatomy and phys course is interesting and Im signed up to take in June online. The books are monsterous and I have yet to know much about the course its self. Ill be interested to responses in this thread as well.

But Im baffled ....you have your pcp1 without cs200?

anyhow , have a sooper day :)

I took my PCP program in Winnipeg 3 years ago. A & P was not a prereq but it was the first chapter we took before we even opened the EMS textbook. Personally I thought it was the hardest chapter of the whole course. The course that I took was CMA accredited ( Canadian Medical Association ) so it met all of the standards that a PCP program should teach. There are two courses that I want to take Anatomy and Physiology 1 and Anatomy and Physiology 2 each one is 18 weeks (either home study or online) with two labs each, There is no way that a PCP course could even come close to covering that much information in the time that we spent on that chapter.

I agree with you Ridryder911. I am just gathering information about the course that I want to take but in our PCP program we got to go and watch an autopsy. I don't mean in a special room behind the glass I mean we glove and gowned up cause we were close enough to get stuff on us. It is an experience I will NEVER forget. We got to do this for two reasons 1. it one thing to read a book about anatomy and physiology but it's something else to see it actually in the body. The coroner was great. He explained everything. 2. So the first real dead body you saw wasn't on a call, you never know how someone will react. I was fine.

The cs200 course is only 4 weeks online and then you proceed to the classroom for the other 10 weeks and a 3 week practicum . wallaa your done. so cs200 ( anatomy and phys)plus the pcp1 all together a whoping 17 or so weeks. I wish I could get the chance to see the cadaver but likely not going to be an option at this point

cheers guys and gals.

Our EMT-P program has an A&P cirriculum that consists of 72 hours classtime learning combined with home study. There is also a pathophysiology segment included and a trip to the ME for an autopsy. It is quite indepth, if you were to take this course on its own it would be 26 weeks.

The EMT-P program I am taking is an outreach cirriculum or accelerated learning modality that is geard to practitioners who have experiance in the field. I would not reccomend this program to someone fresh out of EMT school.

To answer your question, no, it is not more than you can handle. In fact, if it turns out to be too difficult for you, I urge you to quit EMS immediately, because EMS is more than you can handle.

Taking a science course by correspondence would be the very LAST choice. It's an interactive subject. Just like paramedic school, just reading a book isn't going to make you competent. Most colleges in the US wouldn't even accept an A&P class that didn't include laboratory time. But I also know that some people simply live and work in such a place that traditional education is difficult. So, the answer is that you will definitely not get nearly as much out of a home-study A&P course that you would from an on-campus course. But yeah, it will definitely be a notable benefit to your understanding of medicine and should be pursued any way you can.