Newbie with questions.........

WannaBEMT

[/font:10bd405008] Hello all-

Wanted to say 1st that I have learned so much from reading here, I appreciate all the stories and concerns and information you all share. I am starting school in March for EMT-Intermediate. I have worked in the medical field for 10 years, I am 31 years old and I have always wanted to do this. I finally got the courage, applied for school, took the entrance exam, did better than I thought and I am program ready to start. My sister is doing this with me, which is great!

I have so many questions and I do not want to overload on the 1st post here, but I hope you all will bear with me.

If you could tell me one thing you have learned in the course of your career that would help me starting mine, would you share it with me?

How much do EMT-I make in your area?

What do you love most about your job?

What do you dislike about your job?

What was your schooling like?

What were you 1st days as an EMT like?

Thanks so much for bearing with me, anything you want to share I would love to read. I am so excited about starting this new chapter in my life finally. I cannot wait to start!!

Thanks again, you all are the best! :)

Jenn

Before I answer your questions, I have one for you. Are you already an EMT-B? If not, how are you in EMT-I class? Don't know if there is an area that does straight from street to intermediate.

And now for your questions.

If you could tell me one thing you have learned in the course of your career that would help me starting mine, would you share it with me? Always try to learn, don't get your cert. and think you know it all because you have a patch. Learn as much as you can.

How much do EMT-I make in your area? I'm guessing in the mid $20's

What do you love most about your job? The hours (24 on 48 off)

What do you dislike about your job? The hours

What was your schooling like? Typical EMT and Paramedic school I guess.

What were you 1st days as an EMT like? Praying for a call. Couldn't get enough.

OK for your question. I am going to a technical college and my adviser told me that my sister and I can go straight to EMT-I, we were told by her that you cannot do anything with a Basic which I see is far from the truth. Our paperwork from school has us listed to go straight to EMT-I, we live in Georgia, I do not know if that makes a difference. Thanks so much for answering my questions. I really appreciate the feedback. One thing I want to add if you look at the course description which I will try and add, it says the 1st 2 quarters or classes you are learning EMT-B things.......Let me go see if I can cut and paste then you can tell me what you think

Jenn

OK here is the course description, although it seems we will be a EMT-B for a little bit huh?

EMS 120 EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY I - BASIC (8)

Prerequisite: Program Admission

This course introduces the student to the Emergency Medical Technician profession. This course covers the first half of the U.S. Department of Transportation Basic EMT Program.

Topics include: introduction to emergency care, EMS systems, well-being of the EMT, medical-legal aspects of emergency care, hazardous materials, blood and airborne pathogens, infectious diseases, ambulance operations and emergency vehicle operations, the human body, patient assessment, communications and documentation, lifting and moving patients, gaining access, airway basic life support-CPR, and automatic external defibrillation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EMS 121 EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY II -- BASIC (7)

Prerequisite: EMS 120

Continues the basic Emergency Medical Technician program of study. This course covers the second half of the U.S. Department of Transportation Basic EMT Program.

Topics include: general pharmacology, respiratory emergencies, cardiology, diabetes, altered mental status, seizures, allergies, poisonings, environmental emergencies, behavioral emergencies, bleeding and shock, PASG, soft tissue injuries, musculoskeletal injuries, head and spinal injuries, OB/GYN, infants and children, and special needs patients.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EMS 122 EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY -- INTERMEDIATE (9)

Prerequisite: EMS 120, EMS 121 or National Registry Basic EMT Certification

This course covers the U.S. Department of Transportation 1985 Emergency Medical Technician Intermediate Curriculum. The EMT-I course is designed to provide additional training and increased knowledge and skills in specific aspects of advanced life support. This course is for individuals who have successfully completed the EMT-Basic course as a prerequisite.

Topics include: roles and responsibilities, EMS systems, medical legal, communications, documentation, medical terminology, body systems, patient assessment, advanced airway, shock, trauma, shock management, IV administration, intraosseous infusion, medical emergencies I, medical emergencies II, diabetic emergencies and dextrose 50% administration, patient handling, and extrication.

EMS 126 INTRODUCTION TO THE PARAMEDIC PROFESSION (3)

Prerequisites/Corequisites: AHS 101, ENG 101, MAT 101, SCT 100

Introduces the student to the paramedic profession. Discussion centers on functions that extend beyond the EMT scope of practice.

Topics include: roles and responsibilities, the EMS system, medical/legal considerations, illness/injury prevention, ethics, ambulance operations, medical incident command, rescue awareness/ operations, hazardous materials incidents, and crime scene awareness. This course provides instruction on topics in Division 1, Sections 1-5 and Division 7, Sections 1-5 of the USDOT/NHTSA Paramedic National Standard Curriculum.

EMS 127 PATIENT ASSESSMENT (4)

Prerequisites/Corequisites: AHS 101, ENG 101, EMS 128, MAT 101, SCT 100

Introduces the fundamental principles and skills involved in assessing the pre-hospital patient. Emphasis is on the systematic approach to patient assessment, with adaptations for the medical versus the trauma patient.

Topics include: therapeutic communications, history taking, techniques of physical exam, patient assessment, clinical decision-making, communications, and documentation. This course provides instruction on topics in Division 1, Section 9 and Division 3, Sections 1-9 of the USDOT/NHTSA Paramedic National Standard Curriculum.

EMS 128 APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY AND PATHOPHYSIOLOGY (3)

This course introduces the concepts of pathophysiology as it correlates to disease processes. This course will enable the caregiver to enhance their overall assessment and management skills. Disease-specific pathophysiology is covered in each related section of the curriculum. This course covers a review of cellular composition and function, including cellular environment as it relates to fluid and acid-base balances. Content on genetics and familial diseases are discussed. Hypoperfusion, including various forms of shock, multiple organ dysfunction syndrome, and cellular metabolism impairment are integral components of this course. The next portion of this section provides information on the body's self-defense mechanisms, the inflammatory response, and variances in immunity. The last topic covered is stress and disease, which includes stress responses and the interrelationships among stress, coping, and disease.

EMS 129 PHARMACOLOGY (4)

This unit is designed to help the Paramedic implement a patient management plan based on principles and applications of pharmacology. Discussion of pharmacology includes historical trends, names and sources of drugs, classifications, sources of information, legislation and schedules of controlled drugs, standardization of drugs, investigational drugs and standardized drug profiles. Other topics include general properties and forms of drugs, venous access, routes of administration, interactions, storage, and special considerations in drug therapy for pregnant patients, pediatrics, and geriatrics. Also discussed are personal responsibility issues, legal, moral, and ethical responsibilities as well as therapeutically effective drug administration. Detailed reviews of the autonomic nervous system will be discussed to enhance understanding of the mechanism or drug actions where pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics will be integrated. Paramedics will learn to recognize and understand patient-prescribed, over-the-counter and other types of medications. This course provides instruction on topics in Division 1 (Preparatory), Section 7 (Pharmacology) and Section 8 (Venous Access/Medication Administration) of the USDOT/NHTSA Paramedic National Standard Curriculum.

EMS 130 RESPIRATORY FUNCTION AND MANAGEMENT (5)

Prerequisites: EMS 126, EMS 127, EMS 128, EMS 129

Prerequisites/Corequisites: AHS 101, ENG 101, SCT 100

This unit is designed to help the Paramedic assess and treat a wide variety of respiratory related illnesses in the pediatric and adult patient. Topics include a review of anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology of foreign body airway obstruction, recognition of respiratory compromise, use of airway adjunctive equipment and procedures, current therapeutic modalities for bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, spontaneous pneumothorax, and hyperventilation syndromes. This section also provides expanded information for adult respiratory distress syndrome, pulmonary thromboembolism, neoplasms of the lung, pneumonia, emphysema, pulmonary edema, and respiratory infections. This course provides instruction on topics in Division 2 (Airway), Section 1 (Airway Management and Ventilation) and Division 5 (Medical), Section 1 (Respiratory) of the USDOT/NHTSA Paramedic National Standard Curriculum.

EMS 131 TRAUMA (5)

Prerequisites: EMS 126, EMS 127, EMS 128, EMS 129, EMS 130, EMS 132, EMS 133, EMS 134

Prerequisites/Corequisites: EMS 200, AHS 101, ENG 101, SCT 100

Introduces the student to assessment and management of the trauma patient. The student will integrate pathophysiology principles and assessment findings to formulate a field impression and implement a treatment plan for a suspected trauma patient. This course covers epidemiology, detailed anatomy and physiology, physical assessment, and management techniques relative to all types of trauma.

Topics include: trauma system and mechanism of injury, hemorrhage and shock, soft tissue trauma, burns, head and facial trauma, spinal trauma, thoracic trauma, abdominal trauma, and musculoskeletal trauma.

EMS 132 CARDIOLOGY I (5)

Prerequisites/Corequisites: AHS 101, ENG 101, SCT 100, EMS 126, EMS 127, EMS 128, EMS 129, EMS 130

Emphasizes the study of the cardiovascular system. Cardiology I will introduce and explore cardiovascular epidemiology, anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, and electrophysiology. This course will also provide instruction on initial cardiovascular assessment, focused history, detailed physical examination, and electrocardiographic monitoring. Management of the cardiovascular patient will be taught in Cardiology II. This course provides instruction on topics in Division 5 (Medical), Section 2 (Cardiology) of the USDOT/NHTSA Paramedic National Standard Curriculum.

EMS 133 CARDIOLOGY II (5)

Prerequisites/Corequisites: EMS 130, EMS 132, AHS 101, ENG 101, SCT 100

This course expounds on the objectives in Cardiology I emphasizing advanced patient assessment and management of the cardiac patient. Topics will include advanced cardiovascular assessment, pharmacological intervention, electrical intervention, and emergency resuscitative treatment utilizing the American Heart Association's Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Providers course. This course provides instruction on topics in Division 5 (Medical), Section 2 (Cardiology) of the USDOT/NHTSA Paramedic National Standard Curriculum.

EMS 134 MEDICAL EMERGENCIES (4)

Prerequisites/Corequisites: AHS 101, ENG 101, SCT 100, EMS 130, EMS 132, EMS 133

Provides an in-depth study of the nervous, endocrine, gastrointestinal, renal, hematopoietic, and immune systems. Topics include epidemiology, pathophysiology, assessment, and management of specific injuries/illnesses. Emphasis is placed on allergies/anaphylaxis, toxicology, environmental emergencies, and infectious and communicable diseases. General/specific pathophysiology assessment and management are discussed in detail for environmental emergencies. Infectious and communicable disease topics include public health principles, public health agencies, infection, pathogenicity, infectious agents, and specific infectious disease processes and their management. This course provides instruction on topics in Division 5 (Medical), Sections 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 of the USDOT/ NHTSA Paramedic National Standard Curriculum.

EMS 135 MATERNAL / PEDIATRIC EMERGENCIES (5)

Prerequisites: EMS 126, EMS 127, EMS 128, EMS 129, EMS 130, EMS 132, EMS 133, EMS 134

Prerequisites/Corequisites: EMS 200, AHS 101, ENG 101, SCT 100

Emphasizes the study of gynecological, obstetrical, pediatric and neonatal emergencies. Maternal/Pediatric combines the unique relationships and situations encountered with mother and child. Provides a detailed understanding of anatomy/physiology, pathophysiology, assessment, and treatment priorities for the OB/GYN patient. Pediatric and neonatal growth and development, anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, assessment and treatment specifics are covered in detail. Successful completion of a PLS/PALS course is required. This course provides instruction on topics in Division's 5 (Medical), Sections 13 (Obstetrics) & 14 (Gynecology) and 6 (Special Considerations), Sections 1 (Neonatology) and 2 (Pediatrics) of the USDOT/NHTSA Paramedic National Standard Curriculum

EMS 136 SPECIAL PATIENTS (2)

Prerequisites: EMS 126, EMS 127, EMS 128, EMS 129, EMS 130, EMS 131, EMS 132, EMS 133, EMS 134, EMS 135

Prerequisites/Corequisites: EMS 200A, AHS 101, ENG 101, SCT 100

Provides an overview of the assessment and management of behavioral emergencies as they pertain to pre-hospital care.

Topics include: communication skills and crisis intervention, assessment and management of the adult and adolescent patient with behavioral emergencies, management of the violent patient, management of the suicidal patient, medical/legal considerations, and stress management. Life span, geriatrics, abuse, special challenges, and chronic care patients are included.

EMS 200A CLINICAL APPLICATION OF ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE I (10)

Prerequisites: AHS 101, ENG 101, SCT 100, EMS 126, EMS 127, EMS 128, EMS 129, EMS 130, EMS 132, EMS 133, EMS 134

Corequisites: EMS 131, EMS 135

Provides supervised experience that meets Georgia Department of Human Resources Office of EMS requirements for actual patient care in the hospital and Advanced Life Support ambulance settings. Simulations in the classroom experience on an advanced ambulance and service in a hospital develop assessment and treatment skills. Emphasis is placed on ethics, assessment and management of adult and pediatric medical and trauma emergencies. This course will be delivered in one, two, three, four, and five quarters in accordance with program and hospital affiliation agreements. Clinical opportunities will be provided that meets the regulatory requirements for clinical experience in at a minimum the following areas: OR, Critical Care, Emergency Room, Pediatrics, Psychiatric, Labor and Delivery, and Advanced Life Support Ambulance.

EMS 200B CLINICAL APPLICATION OF ADVANCED EMERGENCY CARE II (10)

Prerequisites: Prerequisite: EMS 200A

Corequisites: EMS 136, EMS 201

Part two of EMS 200A. See description under EMS 200A.

EMS 201 SUMMATIVE EVALUATION (5)

Prerequisites: EMS 126, EMS 127, EMS 128, EMS 129, EMS 130, EMS 131, EMS 132, EMS 133, EMS 134, EMS 135, EMS 200A

Corequisites: EMS 136, EMS 200B

This course occurs near the program conclusion. This is the final ability to integrate all of the didactic, knowledge, psychomotor skills, and clinical instruction to serve as an entry-level paramedic during the EMS leadership phase. In the EMS leadership phase, the student will be measured on how they perform as an entry-level paramedic. In the classroom and lab, the student will practice and test as a team leader and partner doing assessment, initial resuscitation, scene choreography, treatment, and patient presentation. This course will comprise of paramedic preceptorship and summative case evaluation in trauma, medical, pediatric, and oral examination. A comprehensive exam will be given in: EKG interpretation, pharmacology, and course comprehension. This course will also include a board examination review.

[top]

How long does this course last??

I am an EMT I in Kansas. I make less than $10 an hour. I love helping people and knowing albeit small I made a difference. I hate the crappy pay and weird hours. Our classes were 2 evenings a week and some times a Saturday class, basic the instructor was very laid back, Intermediate the instructor was a lot more strict and very, very good.

My first days as an EMT....scary! I was nervous as most usually are.

Good luck!!

It would be unfair for me to post what it was like for me (since you were only 3-4 years old when I first became a medic) but I will tell you what ti have seen & hear from newbies.

How much do EMT-I make in your area? It is all geographical, don't base income with salary amounts. For instance a EMT/I at my service is considered a basic. Actually our basic are required to become an EMT/I within 6 months to maintain their position. It ranges from $17 to 25k all dependent upon experience. Now, for some that is piss poor money & for some that is great money .. all depends on the region you live. Remember costs of living varies VERY much in parts of the U.S. so that $25 hr is not that much in some areas and whopping in others.

What do you love most about your job? I returned full time to field from being an ER RN full time for the past 10 years even ER Director.. so you can see I like the field a lot better (for me). The autonomy of giving my client or patient the best care I know that they can receive at that time... I guess proud of my job done right and thorough. The other the bortherhood of EMS, yes, those pain in the butt EMT's can be fun to work with as well, as getting some down time (not much) but it beats standing on your feet for 12 hrs straight. You also have a brief patient contact time (<2hrs). Baby sitting patients awaiting on lab, physician orders, etc. and the family, patient is mad at you because they had to wait... and there was nothing you could do. The last is the outdoors, I like spring & fall weather. Being trapped inside on a nice day ..ewww... The hours, I work 24 on 24 off for 3 shifts then 4 days off straight (10) days a month.

What do you dislike about your job? The hours ... sometimes we are busy for 24 hrs straight... but, I still like it better than 8 or 12 hr shifts. People abusing the system, yet again, we do not educate many on proper use. The abuse of EMS in hospital to hospital transfers in my area.

What was your schooling like? I had several schooling in my early years as EMS developed. I was actually a Paramedic before I attended my Basic EMT class... (long story) Then I went on and received my degree.

What were you 1st days as an EMT like? Scary, like everyone else. Apparently, nothing has changed in the past 29 years. From what I still see and read here. Of course there is more defined care now, the equipment is a hell of a lot better, and so are the working conditions in comparison. Most EMS still has a long way to go, but some do have very nice equipment and living quarters and decent (not great) benefits.

Main points, I recommend; is to really investigate EMS companies. See what the turnover rate is & why ? Look at protocols . are they too defined or so vague that you are risking your career ?.. Remember this is what you are working under. Compare benefits in lieu of salary ... if you have to spend $4000 a year on family insurance is the additional $2000 yr salary worth it ?... many factors come into to play such as advancement, education bonuses, do you want to be stuck as a Paramedic only at age 50 ? ...

Good luck,

R/R 911

R/R

Thank you for your post, I have always found them very insightful and honest. I am scared only because I hope I can handle the gory scenes, I hope I don't freeze up, etc. I cannot wait to start school and trying to get my hands on any information out there.

Jenn

Like Rid said, you don't really notice it at all, you are so busy with your patients that the blood and stuff is an after thought. I also agree with Rid about the brotherhood. We are a family here, we not only work together but we play together. EMS people are unique, a great bunch of people.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.