Job question

azure_spirit

OK here is my story. Right now I am in a machine tool program. I plan on going into fire fighting, which means I will have to go through a paramedic or EMT course. Anyway, I was working at my lathe the other day when I hear a loud yell. I look up and see what’s going on and I see a student running to the sink area. I run up to see what’s happening thinking he cut his finger or something. When I get up there I ask what happened. He showed me his finger. At the second joint it was mangled and crushed, not to mention it was dislocated and tore down the side. Granted I have not started anything Medic or fire fighting, so all I could think of was to tell him to keep pressure on it with a towel. The teacher saw what happened and was doing his job, while I stayed to make sure he would be ok. He went off to the hospital and by that time I was not doing the best. I took some breaths and went back to my machine to settle down. While I was there I had to sit down because I got very near passing out. I have taken care of some stuff before granted not quit that bad but not your normal cuts or scrapes. I wasn’t expecting what happened, and mainly I want to know if any of you had a same situation. I would like to know if I should even try fire fighting or is it something that you need some time with. I really wasn’t grossed out; lunch wasn’t a problem or throwing up. I was paying to much attention to the guy then myself, maybe I hyperventilated. So there’s my story, I would like to know what any of you think. Thanx

First off, congratulations on helping out and not becoming a distraction yourself; that's promising. Second, for being open to wondering about your tolerance for gore. Third, keep in mind that this episode confronted you, without warning, to a shock incurred by a previous acquaintance in a role that evoked a "That could've been me!" response, outside any professional trauma-handling context, and without prior training; all these factors vary from ems scenarios. Typically, if you come upon someone you know in trauma, an associate takes over because you can't be expected to keep the useful professional detachment; the finest surgeon won't operate on a family member.

I'll be interested in what seasoned veterans here say about testing the waters, once you've thumbed through medical textbook illustrations and videos, to discover your psychological threshold for blood & guts, which (in the best cases) is an acquired taste.

Don't worry about it. It has absolutely no bearing or predictable factors for your tolerance of the job. Not even remotely comparable. Hell, I used to throw up and pass out everytime I cut my own finger in the kitchen. Now after thirty years, I can tell you that I have never once gotten ill over anything less than somebody puking in my mouth. You'll be fine.

In your situation, the illness was not from the gross factor. It was from the adrenaline factor. You were in an emergency situation, on the spot, and responded just like biology told you to respond. And the added anxiety of not knowing for sure what to do (although it sounds like you actually did just fine) added to the adrenaline and made you sick. Your mind can only concentrate on one thing at a time. Once you've been trained how to handle it, your mind will be way too busy focusing on your own actions to get overwhelmed by the things you are seeing.

Ever notice how some people get carsick, airsick, or seasick as a passenger, but not when they are the one doing the driving? Ever see a driver or pilot get airsick or carsick? Nope. Doesn't happen. Same principle in EMS. Once you're involved, the sickness you would get as a bystander goes away.

Good luck! Although, if you become a fireman, we'll have to toss you off the board. :wink:

Don't worry about it. It has absolutely no bearing or predictable factors for your tolerance of the job. Not even remotely comparable. Hell, I used to throw up and pass out everytime I cut my own finger in the kitchen. Now after thirty years, I can tell you that I have never once gotten ill over anything less than somebody puking in my mouth. You'll be fine.

In your situation, the illness was not from the gross factor. It was from the adrenaline factor. You were in an emergency situation, on the spot, and responded just like biology told you to respond. And the added anxiety of not knowing for sure what to do (although it sounds like you actually did just fine) added to the adrenaline and made you sick. Your mind can only concentrate on one thing at a time. Once you've been trained how to handle it, your mind will be way too busy focusing on your own actions to get overwhelmed by the things you are seeing.

Ever notice how some people get carsick, airsick, or seasick as a passenger, but not when they are the one doing the driving? Ever see a driver or pilot get airsick or carsick? Nope. Doesn't happen. Same principle in EMS. Once you're involved, the sickness you would get as a bystander goes away.

Just to add one piece to this by Dust....when you are in the profession you have the response time to somewhat prepare yourself before arriving on scene, but even still it can be tough when you respond to someone you know.

Good luck! Although, if you become a fireman, we'll have to toss you off the board. :wink:

The more the merrier!!!!! We've stolen their rides lets hijack their board LOL just kidding Dust :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.