Too Nice?

radaret

I am for them... I smile if they need me too, I become sad to empathize with them if they need that, when I say "how are you feeling dear" i make damn sure that 90 year old women knows she is the center of my world.

Good post. However, if you call a patient "Dear" or "Sweetie" or "Honey" or anything of the sort on my bus, you're going home.

That's a term reserved for family and friends, not strangers you take care of. I didn't like it when complete strangers called my great-grandmother that, and I sure as hell won't say it to any of my patients. That's what "Sir" and "Ma'am" are for.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. However, if you call a patient "Dear" or "Sweetie" or "Honey" or anything of the sort on my bus, you're going home.

Ahh... In the privates working with these people that sometimes knew I was there and sometimes didn't I got into the habit of calling some of them dear. Most of them I knew from previous transports. I had one women that I brought for radiation treatments every couple of weeks or so and one night around 3 in the morning we got a call for her again... she was unresponsive with little BP to speak of and a world of oh s***. I'll tell you that she felt like family... shes one of the very very few of my patients I remember.

But I havn't used the term since I started 911. I've been thinking of new names since I started 911 like.... 'dear.... god what have you been drinking'. :wink:

There is a difference from being empathetic and sympathetic. Empathy, is caring and giving care, with the understanding. There is times you can only say so much and apologize so much.

Far as sweety, honey, etc... it all depends on the region you live. The geriatric little women in my are love it !!! especially the older men from a hot female medic.. you can see their eyes light up.. Calling them sir or miss ms.. etc, actually insults some.. so you have to be cautious & use appropriately.

The first time I always ask the name and address such with proper title. usually, I get told off by then...

Again, common sense, YES you should be nice to your patient, YES be empathetic.. use common sense

Be safe,

R/R 911

Right....As a rule, I refrain from using endearing terms, so as not to offend someone older than me. I use it sometimes with kids...depending...for kids will tell you if they don't like it, and not be as offended as an adult. And I only do that usually after I've asked their name and used that first. Basically...I talk to a kid as I do my own...and usually that gets received well.

Now, as for the old men...well...as Rid said, they like to flirt. I have a few regulars, and those guys EXPECT me to be that way with them. If I called any of them sir or their first name, they would ask me what the hell my problem was. Literally, in those words. lol. Some of them, all I do is walk in the house and smile at them. "Ahhhh...there she is...they say." I give a wink, grab their hand, give a squeeze and a pat on the back, verify that the condition is the "same as last time"... and away we go. :lol:

As a rule...just start out by being respectful and polite. You will get to know your patients, and you will get to know what is offensive and what is not. You have to somewhat "read" the patient and the amount of pain/distress they are in, the kind of sickness, and the seriousness of the call. Use common sense. It's different with everyone. As long as your intentions are good, and you use your head, everything else will usually fall into place.

:wink:

xoxo 8

Right....As a rule, I refrain from using endearing terms, so as not to offend someone older than me. I use it sometimes with kids...depending...for kids will tell you if they don't like it, and not be as offended as an adult. And I only do that usually after I've asked their name and used that first. Basically...I talk to a kid as I do my own...and usually that gets received well.

xoxo 8

For all of you childless people out there (like me) I find small children are very similar to dogs. Be assertive, but kind. Reward good behaviour, discourage bad. Tickle their belly and call them by name. If they run away put them on a leash...Hahaha

Word. That is the secret to both good care and mental health. :thumbleft:

Is Dust getting soft and showing the ol' soft underbelly? :lol:

Should we not be hard nosed professionals uncaring about who or what we do to others?

Talking to my patients and reassuring them if they are scared, or discussing their concerns if warranted is MY JOB!

Getting sucked in requires you to be willing to be.

Sometimes I think most of the patients we transport just need the TLC in the back. Yes, some try to such you in. When it comes to senior citizens, in my area, they just want someone to acknowledge they are still human. They have feelings just like anyone else. Yes, frequent flyers can get annoying, but that is part of the job. Don't like it, GET OUT. I always apologize for the bumps and noise, and for all the procedures that we HAVE to do. Being nice should come with the job. OK, I'm not always as nice as I should be, especially with an obnoxious drunk in the back, but most of the time, nice gets me a long way with finding out what I need to know with the patient.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.