EMRs in BC and Alberta

BEorP

BEorP,

I'm presently an AB Medic. As the posts state, you will need to check with Alberta college of Paramedics regarding licensure. I'm origianally from BC, and recently becan to accept out of province medical proffesionals.

See the following link: www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/ema/oop.html

BC Ambulance Service is actively recruting ACP/ALS for BC. Once again, check with the EMA license board.

As for work, In BC EMR is not accepted in industry. You need an Occupational first Aid Level 3 certificate issued by an approved WCB training agency, OR an Advanced First Aid Certificate that is recognised Eg: The hoky EMP Canada, (couldn't resist) check out this link: http://www2.worksafebc.com/Topics/FirstAid...d-Equivalencies.

As for work, go to Canada 411 and search for "first aid service" in Fort Saint John, Fort Nelson BC. For BC companies in the north. And for AB try the employment section in the ACP website. Start looking a couple months before hand. Summer work past 3 years has been very good.

Good luck,

And keep us posted!

Iceberg

I'm origianally from BC, and recently becan to accept out of province medical proffesionals.

See the following link: www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/ema/oop.html

BC Ambulance Service is actively recruting ACP/ALS for BC. Once again, check with the EMA license board.

Damn right.

One of our guys is heading out there this week to start ACP in BC after working for years here. Myself, I am seriously considering it once I am finished ACP precepting (read: procrastinating). They have lowered the road experience needed from 3 years to 1 year as ACP, so potentially I could be out there in less than 2 years.

It would be an interesting change of pace...BUT WHY THE WHITE SHIRTS?!!???! WHYYYYYYYYYY.....Oh well...

BEorP,

Just work for a GOOD transfer service here if you want experience (I don't remember where you are but Paladin and Voyageur are at least decent). Sure not as much cash, but at least you get a bunch of driving and pt. contact experience. Learning the hospitals, some of the "system", etc...Seems like way less hastle.

I totally agree with VS, if you want Pt contact experiance work for the transfer service there. If you want money and are willing to submit the required paperwork to the College, then be my guest. But there is a drawback as well though, most of the industrial EMS work in Alberta is done in the winter when drilling in remote areas is at its highest.

I also knew a girl from Ontario that came out here after her second year of PCP in Ontario and did not quallify for reciprocity. According to our illustrious college, we have a higher training level than the rest of Canada and it is very hard to get absolute transfer into Alberta.

If you take the EMR course here in BC then it meets all the requirements for industry first aid. I think there are at least 3 agencies now that are accredited by the Alberta College of Paramedics (i.e. you can take the course in BC and automatically write the ACP exam). There are lots of EMR jobs here in the gas industry and there is a huge construction boom right now from the Olympics.

Caroline Ambulance which is a vol service takes EMR's on their trucks, East Central Ambulance Association also hires EMR's. That service is on paper a volunteer service but you get paid. Otherwise working EMS as an EMR is very difficult. I would move on and continue education to get your EMT or like you said earlier just work on the rigs. Check out

www.collegeofparamedics.org

Best of Luck!

Jeep

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.