Loss of confidence in abilities or incompetent?

It certainly sounds that way. Hmmm...you say he has performed exceptionally well in the past? It's hard to imagine a medical director "de-protocoling" someone for "lack of confidence" over one call...there must be a history with him of some sort...either that, yeah...or a personal problem. It's hard to say....

Wow... :shock: I hope I never get "de-protocoled"...lmao

Off the top it sounds like one of two things; 1. the medic is incompetant,but you would think they would give a specific reason

2. the medical director has some sort of personal problem with the medic and has chosen to use his power do punish him.

This has happened to 2 medics I know. They are 2 of the best medics I know. One made a medication error (the patient is just fine) and the other gave Nitro to someone w/ a sys. B/P of 110. His partner couldn't get the IV and the pt's B/P dropped. They had to do an EJ and the medical director climbed his arse because he was the senior medic. He was not permitted to operate under our dept.'s protocols. I worked with them at another dept and the medical director of that dept. knew of the situation and personally spoke with the medics, their supervisors and the other medical director. Their new medical director decided that it was a personal mission of the MD to get these guys fired. They are good guys and good medics.

Doc

I know of some medics in other states that this has happened to. The medical director did not want that Paramedic working at that time as a Paramedic. It is their right to do so, it their license that they work under. One, that comes in mind is one Paramedic that t was dealing with some emotional issues and worked as a Supervisor, instead of having him loose license and certification, he was no longer to function. This was an agreement based upon him receiving treatment, and the physician okay after & evaluating him.

I believe more physician in-put should be encouraged. There are several Paramedics that can follow the recipe, but are still lousy chefs. They should be closely monitored and based upon individual basis.

Be safe,

R/r 911

Being De-veined or De-Boned doesn't sound so good either... :shock:

I agree, I would rather have someone de-bone or de-vein me than to have to go through a humiliating process. I worked 15 years in EMS, 10 of those as a Paramedic and also worked as a FTO and a supervisor. I have a daytime job now at a major university with a decent salary and excellent benefits.

The reason I say that I would rather be deboned or deveined or even shot for that matter is that the Paramedic that was taken off protocol and subsequently terminated was also an experienced medic with no prior disciplinary action. In addition, that particular medic was tried, convicted and hung in the court of popular gossip and did not find another job until months after that occurred. As an experienced medic myself, I feel for them because I know that I had worked too hard to earn my Paramedic licensure just to have people after all of those years toss me out like yesterday's garbage.

LET'S FIRE THE MORON!!! He is a moron because he made a mistake, isn't he? This medic had been working in 911 for at least 8 years. Usually, most crappy medics I know have washed out within a year or so. Are you perfect yourself? Will you ever make a mistake on a call or have a call turn out not like you had hoped???? If you do make a mistake, do you want to be laughed at and tossed out in the trash and called an idiot or moron? Would you like to lose your home or car as a result? OR would you rather be counseled, retrained and have your medical director and clinical coordinator work with you and learn from your mistake.

Have a nice day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.