Incharge Paramedic vs. Regular Paramedic

Nate

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the Field Supervisor, then FTO/ Supv. on each crew.. then Senior Medic.. that is dependent on experience and knowledge. When with lower level of license ( basic, EMT /Inter.) the Paramedic is technically over the patient care and call... With on a on shift Field Supv. there is little dispersion...

Be safe,

R/R 911

The fire dept that I run for has a "Crew Chief" on all runs. This is the most senior paramedic, regardless of rank (i.e. - Lt., Capt., etc.). My full-time job have PIC's (paramedic in charge). Obviously, because my partner is a basic, I am PIC by default. If we have multiple crews on a run (which happens every now and then, the most senior paramedic (in regards to company seniority) is the PIC.

This is the most senior paramedic, regardless of rank (i.e. - Lt., Capt., etc.).

Then there are those agencies to whom the most "senior" paramedic is the one with the most time in that particular agency, not the most time as a medic.

How would you choose "senior paramedic" between one who had been a paramedic for 3 years, all in your agency, and another who had been a paramedic for 10 years, only 6 months in your agency? Neither are a rookie or probationary. Who is senior medic?

Then there are those agencies to whom the most "senior" paramedic is the one with the most time in that particular agency, not the most time as a medic.

How would you choose "senior paramedic" between one who had been a paramedic for 3 years, all in your agency, and another who had been a paramedic for 10 years, only 6 months in your agency? Neither are a rookie or probationary. Who is senior medic?

In that instance, the medic who has been a medic for 3 years and 3 years seniority w/ company would be Senior Medic. I never said it was a fool proof plan.

I wasn't criticizing you or your system. Your scenario just reminded me of a question I have encountered many times over the years, so I wanted some opinions on the situation.

Your system says the man with local seniority is "senior medic." Do you agree with that, or would you choose differently?

I wasn't criticizing you or your system. Your scenario just reminded me of a question I have encountered many times over the years, so I wanted some opinions on the situation.

Your system says the man with local seniority is "senior medic." Do you agree with that, or would you choose differently?

I know you weren't being critical. I trust you, Dust. I'm actually a little torn. On the downside, we have a BRAND NEW medic (passed the 3rd time in December w/ a 71% BTW) who has been with the company for 9 years. He started out as a basic. We have a guy who started last May who has been a medic for about 4 years with a large 911 service in South Carolina. He was been a navy corpsman for about 13 years. By policy, the jackoff with his card for 1 month is Senior. I don't agree with that. NO ONE and I mean no one, including most management, listens to him.

IMHO, I think that the person with the highest certification should be senior (which BTW isn't always the case). If there are 2 people with the same level of cert, then other things should be taken into consideration, such as...

1. Certification date

2. Time with dept./company

I think that all things should be taken into consideration when determining PIC and not just bestowed on someone because they kiss someones a$$. Which happens a lot in this industry.

Let me clear this up, I'm refering to "in charge" as being a paramedic that out ranks the other paramedic on the truck based upon education, ability, and skill performance, not time with the service. Many of the services here in Houston run what they call an "in charge" paramedic in which this paramedic has the final call on what happens and is usually out ranked by a supervisor. These positions aren't determined by how long you've been with the service, but by how much education, ability, and skill (usually done with a test).

How many services out there are using the whole "incharge" paramedic thing or some how have different ranks of paramedics?

You'd have to admit, your question was a bit vague. I was just telling how it was done where I work. Everywhere is different. On every dept. that I have worked for, the "in charge", "senior paramedic", "paramedic in charge (PIC)" or whatever have in almost every case been by departmental seniority or how long you've been a medic. There usually isn't an exam that determines this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.