Incharge Paramedic vs. Regular Paramedic

Nate

I worked in a system at one time that had Paramedic and Lead Paramedic. I liked it. Generally after about six months, a Paramedic would advance to a Lead Paramedic position after both written and skills testing, observance by the clinical coordinator and approval from the medical director. That particular service ran fulltime dual Paramedic units but occasionally I worked with a EMT. I would have to say that is my favorite system. We had pretty progressive protocols there.

Another system I ran with part time was basically the same except it was Paramedic I, II, III and it was based on experience, testing and recommendation from the medical director. It is excellent because it matches new Paramedics to the experienced ones and was a great learning experience for me.

My least preferred system is one where it doesn't matter. I have seen new Paramedics partnered with brand new EMT's and I have seen some problems with that. There was one new Paramedic that used to yell at his new EMT partner because he was nervous because he was a new Paramedic and he had to deal with a new EMT who really did not know the area well at that time and was a inexperienced driver and so on. The management team had to split those two. IMO, thay should have never been partnered with. The management team at that time did not have any emergency driving training for the new EMT's. I got in trouble one day because they wanted to put a brand new EMT with me that had never driven an ambulance before. I strongly objected. We had a torrential downpour that day and it had been incredibly busy with several transports to the level I trauma center in our area. It was about 20 miles to the trauma center and heavy traffic. I just did not feel safe with her. Fortunately, another EMT called in and took the shift so she went back to dispatch and I avoided getting sent home. After that the emergency vehicle driving course was mandatory for all new EMT and Paramedics entering the system.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I work with another medic we alternate calls, if I'm driving I help him and he is in-charge and when he drives I'm in-charge. Now I say "in-charge" because who ever is responsible for Pt care is the boss. We work together and help each other out. The driver is the airway guy if needed and the PM is running the call. I know it's the same other places too.

Nate, that must be an oldtimers term. HFD used to put them through an 8 week acclerated program. Pretty freakin scary isn't it?

Oh I know about it, just haven't heard anyone refer to them that in a long time. Then again we don't talk about HFD much here...we have a few of their paramedics who are "fed up" with the stuff there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.