How about this...

Okay, so today I'm in the office grabbing my gear, and I hear the BLS asking about a "jumper down" call. Here we divide suicidal jumpers into two categories "jumper up", as in they look like they're going to, and a "jumper down", in which, well, they did. I leaned over my lieutenant's computer to see the call text, and I see its a confirmed jumper down, 34/5. The first number is the street, the second the avenue, so its 34th Street and 5th Avenue. I hadn't had my coffee and I was preoccupied with my radio so it took me a second before my mind grasped the ramifications of the address. I stopped and asked my lieutenant "34th and 5th... they don't mean the Empire State Building do they?" Indeed, I was correct. Yes, someone actually jumped off the Empire State Building today. I don't know what floor he jumped from. As everything that falls from it though, he apparently landed on the 6th floor set back. I wasn't on the call, but I'm pretty sure I didn't need to be anyway.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had one about two years ago that climbed the Williams Tower here in Houston (Galleria area) and just let go. I can't imagine "free falling" being a good way to die. Personally, I think some people take Tom Petty way to serious. :(

When I was in Maryland, I helped fish a guy out of the Chesapeake Bay after he jumped from a bridge. The drop to the water was approximately 100'. Put it this way, he was in pieces. I couldn't imagine that type of damage from hitting water.

I read this today and thought, "this sounds awfully familiar."

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/02/D8FH2EU01.html

I wonder how he got to his jumping point? And I never thought about it, but how did he get outside? I can't imagine the windows open that far if they open at all.

-be safe.

Anne Arundel or Queen Anne?

I don't remember precisely (this was several years ago) but I think it was the Anne Arundel. It was the furthest south....the 50/301 bridge. When we found him (most of him) he was several miles south of the bridge and in PG County's jurisdiction.

Okay, as suspected, it was in the paper. Man buys ticket to 86th floor observation deck, gets off on the 66th floor, and jumps. 600 feet, straight down on to solid concrete. Wow. 34th person to do that since 1931, when the building opened.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.