more questions about what paramedics can do

lexx_1997

Such questions will always be a question of local policy. That is nothing that any of us here can answer.

Qualified? Probably. Allowed? It's up to that hospital and possibly up to your state certification agency.

Here, I know lots of medics who have applied for phlebotomist jobs only to be told they must have graduated from a phlebotomy school. Other hospitals are hiring them to suture. So ya never really know. :roll:

I've also heard of some facilities hiring and training paramedics to function as resp. techs.

Personally, I kind of think that paramedics should stay paramedics...kind of feel like the "hoe" of medicine with all of the different ways people are finding to use paramedics. :lol:

I agree Nate. Unfortunately, since our profession is lacking in pay.. many have to choose to be able to provide for their family and yes... be able to pay bills and buy food, doing another job.

I have seen many excellent Paramedics have to go to other health related professions... sometimes leaving the field all together. Many over qualified, and usually excel because of their knowledge, but the we have lost. The system lost providers, as well as patients has potentially lost capability of good care.

It is a shame we can not "slap" our profession awake or get them into shape. But again, we as a whole continue to make excuses and continue to allow it.

Be safe,

R/R 911

I think they see that need for more money and feel that as long as they have "cheap medical labor" they will continue to use us. Same goes for our friends south of the US border.

Go figure, I can compare paramedics with illegal Hispanic labor.

I think they see that need for more money and feel that as long as they have "cheap medical labor" they will continue to use us. Same goes for our friends south of the US border.

Wow...im now speachless...

Isn't this the same argument that nurses/PA's/NP's/Dr's use to justify using specifically trained ancillary personnel? Nurses don't like to draw blood, because there is someone trained to do it cheaper. Dr's don't want to start IV's because there is someone else to do it for them. The list goes on and on.

Anytime the medical community learns that a cheaper alternative is available, the more expensive practitioner will give up the ability so they can assume a more supervisory role. Then when they need to perform they are no longer able to. How many times have you heard a doctor or nurse say, " I haven't done that since I was in school."?

They learn how to do it, actually perform it a couple of times to get their license, then forget how. Before long paramedics will discover that we have the same problem, what with EMT-B's performing IVs/Intubations. All to save a buck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a basic and we're trained in the mechanics of intubation and IV start but not allowed to do it. I learned those skills in an area other than where I work currently but just the fact that we were taught but not tested shows a clear intention of eventual transition of those skills to the basic level.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.