HOW MANY CERTS DOES YOUR STATE RECOGNIZE

medicdsm

Do you believe there should be so many certifications recognized by one state  

44 members have voted

1. 1.

• NO
    • YES

Ohio has first responder, EMT-B, EMT-I (85 and 99) and EMT-Paramedic.

The EMT-I cert is scary, there are in house classes one can take in a few months and do everything a medic can do except cardiac. They are aloud to put a pt. on a monitor but they can't do anything...push drugs without the pharmacology classes, etc...not good at all.

We do have departments in the state that will not recognize an intermediate; they must practice as basics or go on to paramedic school.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I'm glad you brought up ohio, when i worked there, that was a sorry state of a mess to be in ! They didn't know what they wanted or what they had ! It seemed there was everything from first responders, basics, emt-advanced, intermediates both varities, medic and ccemt-p. Since KY and TN haven't made the list yet, here ya go

KY

first responder (though is actively being phased out)

basic

intermediates (though pilot programs, not actively certified by state unless part of the program)

medics

medic with critical care endorsement

TN

first responder

basic

(both are pretty well non existant as no longer actively certifying only renewing)

EMT - IV (NS, LR, d-50, sub q epi, breathing treatments)

EMT - P

CCEMT P

CA has:

EMT-1

EMT-2

EMT-P

Only a couple counties left with EMT-2's, and even those are starting to upgrade to EMT-P

Just curious what counties recognize EMT-2s and who employs them?

Also, I know Santa Barbara County has adopted an EMT-1 expanded or "optional skills" accreditation. EMT + 84 additional hours which allows administration of a couple meds, IM & SC injections, and a few other skills.

New York (upstate at least)

CFR

EMT - Basic

EMT - D - Basic Defib

EMT - I

EMT - CC

EMT - P

I know this was posted a while ago but...

North Shore EMS also have CCEMT-P's among their transport medics. I believe they hold 1 or 2 classes a year at their HQ in Syosett, for anyone interested in becoming one (staff or not).

NY doesn't use the NR, but the tests are derived from it. If you choose to take the NR test they recognize the NY skills test and give you credit for it.

I was informed just recently, that the practical skills evaluation at the end of my medic course, will be NR only. It is then up to the individual if they want to sit the written NR component. Either way, both the Sate and NR are covered in one practical exam. A move in the right direction, but still some way to go IMO (mandatory degree courses / state license etc).

NYC REMAC and county-specific exams remain separate entities.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.