Stryker PowerPro stretchers

emtx22001

Do you know if you had something like this to begin with, then there would be no injuries, RIGHT?

I completely disagree. Maybe if you work for an urban transfer service, where all you do is roll up and down tile hallways and paved parking lots, but not in real EMS. There are simply TOO many times that it is necessary to carry the entire loaded stretcher. Over obstacles. Over dirt, grass, gravel, potholes or speedbumps. Up and down steps and stairs. During those times, the extra weight will be a con, not a pro. And during those times, that weight will contribute to injuries, not prevent them.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just got a our first one a few weeks ago and like them, and so does my back. We have started doing two person lifts into the back of the rig instead of on guy trying to muscle it in themselves.

As for carrying them up stairs, we have been using new stair chairs for about a year with really good luck. If we can't get them downstairs with the chair (i.e. full arrest) we use either a board or a scoop. Anything that helps keep me off disability is a + in my book. I started looking a people as a career ending disability and act accordingly. If I need manpower for the lift, I get manpower for the lift including at the hospital when some of our RN's (whom I love) say "I'll get the feet" when the Pt is 300 lbs.

I also recommend getting names of departments in your area from your sales rep that bought the cots then contacting them directly. Within a day I had 10-15 responses from MSO's in my region after I e-mailed the following questions:

1) What do your medics/EMT’s think of the quality and operation of the unit?

2) Are they user friendly and durable?

3) How long have you had the cots and have you seen a decrease in lifting injuries yet?

4) Do you have any proposals you used during the budget process that you can e-mail me?

The key is to keep the questions short and if you need anymore information ask after the initial e-mail.

Good luck.

To settle any weight disputes- The Stryker PowerPro weighs 132lbs. This was verifyed on my 419 xfer to the Coroner's last week.

As Dust said, it absolutely sucks to carry, although we don't have to do it much in this urban jungle, but it happens.

I really don't care for it, but I'm not opposed to using it. The patients get a kick out of the Star Wars-esque sounds and feeling of levatation :-P It also frees up an extra set of hands to help lift the foot end when loading an obese patient because one person just has to press the button.

Because of my 419 xfer, I have officially started an unofficial recall of these stretchers at my station. My 419 was a verfied 502 lbs and the stretcher did not hold up, even with the 700lb rating. I won't get into the details of it on here, but all I've gotta say- hold on to your warranty info because you'll know exactly what happened to us when it happens to you!!

I won't leave without praising this unit however, my back absolutely loves it!! Also, Stryker after a bit of self-defense has been very helpful in providing update kits and staff to install them.

This was verifyed on my 419 xfer to the Coroner's last week.

I'll give you a break on the spelling, but minus 5 for using local codes that nobody else will understand. :wink:

We are currently testing them and so far they appear to be great. I wish I would had them 30 years ago!.. We would had saved many leaving the field. As for lifting, yes, they do weigh more, but they do wheel better over grass, rocks, etc. better than Ferno's

Most of the back problems occur with repeated lifting and this with stretcher this appears to reduce that often. As well, most of the patients anymore are not the same weight they used to be... so yes, the 700 pound patient load is nice to see.

I agree, they are expensive but so are laminectomies....

R/r 911

Because of my 419 xfer, I have officially started an unofficial recall of these stretchers at my station. My 419 was a verfied 502 lbs and the stretcher did not hold up, even with the 700lb rating. I won't get into the details of it on here, but all I've gotta say- hold on to your warranty info because you'll know exactly what happened to us when it happens to you!!

I won't leave without praising this unit however, my back absolutely loves it!! Also, Stryker after a bit of self-defense has been very helpful in providing update kits and staff to install them.

Did you read the part of the information that you are suppose to do an "assisted lift" when your Pt gets to be 300-350 lbs? With out you saying what the problem was, how are we suppose to be on the look out for the same problem?

Did you read the part of the information that you are suppose to do an "assisted lift" when your Pt gets to be 300-350 lbs? With out you saying what the problem was, how are we suppose to be on the look out for the same problem?

It was assisted, we used 8 people! There were also 4 used when loading.

We are currently looking into the powered cots. If they save one back injury I think there worth every penny.

So, by that same logic, what is it worth if it causes one back injury?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.