Atlantic City EMS

edogs334

Last summer. I was in the Firehouse to do a shirt trade, and the Medic was at the computer doing what looked like a report. They were toned out by OCFDs Dispatch, and called on scene at same time as OCFD Ambulance 1.

Maby it was a trial thing.....

How long does it take to become a Medic in Jersey? I am in Fla now, and it aint that long...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NJ ALS training:

Professional Certification

The professional courses are divided into eight semesters (three classroom; five clinical) and awards the student 42 credits and a certificate of completion. Instruction takes place in the classroom, hospital and in the field internship with preceptors on the Mobile Intensive Care Units.

Associate's Degree

The Health Sciences curriculum is the opportunity to acquire an Associate's Degree by supplementing your professional paramedic education with an additional 26 credits (for a total of 68) of specified general education courses.

On average, about 2 years. Students will have about 500 precepting hours prior to testing, on average.

WOW! :D

Medic programs here range from 3 months to 1.5 yrs, and are supposidly among the toughest in the country!

But its all worth it.

How bout how much it costs? I want to be a medic liek nothing else, but the cash flow is limited

WOW! :D

Medic programs here range from 3 months to 1.5 yrs, and are supposidly among the toughest in the country!

But its all worth it.

How bout how much it costs? I want to be a medic liek nothing else, but the cash flow is limited

The cost is reasonable and I know a lot of guys who are in the medic program while working full-time as a basic.

• 1 month later...

To reply to the original topic - as far as I know, AMR in that area does transport services only. I didn't think AMR had any 911 contracts in their Philadelphia area (Salem, NJ, and AC County NJ included).

If anyone knows different, I'd be interested to know, too.

The nearest I could figure is running "emergencies" from their contracted nursing homes.

AMR lost the AC/911 contract in 1999 and pulled out of the area (Philadelphia Market). They used to provide service for another municipality in Gloucester County (Gloucester City I think), but that ended also, around the same time that the Medicare reimbursement changed and AMR lost all of it's nursing home contracts( their choice). They recently have been attempting to come back into the area with the purchase of Hart/ MedTech Ambulance based out of Philadelphia, but also licensed in NJ. They only have private contracts with nursing homes in NJ. The AC/ 911 (BLS) contact was taken over by MONOC for a short period and is currently run by Exceptional Medical Transport, based out of the Berlin area with a sub in AC. AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center runs all the ALS in Atlantic & Cape May Counties with units in the area described in a previous post by EMT001. AtlantiCare also operates a basic transport service, BLS in the city of Linwood, and SCTU services for AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center (both Mainland & City divisions) and Burdette Tomlin Memorial Hospital in Cape May County. AtlantiCare is the fastest growing EMS system in New Jersey & has aspired to being the premier provider in the state. Many of the local municipalities have paid EMS systems either through the fire dept. or as a third service. Usually these positions are filled through a list compiled by the NJ State Dept. of Personnel. There are also a few volunteer squads in the area that usually supplement the paid systems. As for the Medic Unit stationed in Ocean City, there are several paramedics that are employed by Ocean City Fire Dept., but work as EMTs when employed by Ocean City. They wear the patch reflecting their level of certification, but can only function as paramedics when they are employed by an ALS provider, such as AtlantiCare. I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more, just ask.

WOW! :lol:

But its all worth it.

Then why not get your paramedic cert in FL and come up to NJ with a NR-EMT/P and challenge it? I know NJ has been talking about getting on board with I/99's but right now its either basic or paramedic...

NJ used to have EMT-Intermediates until the early 90s in three counties (Salem, Cumberland, & Sussex Co.) that were unable to receive a certificate of need from the NJ Dept. of Health due to low population. As criteria for Certificate of Needs for ALS were population based. . In 1998 the EMT-Is that were able went through the MICP program and went on to become paramedics. The ones that didn't reverted back to EMT-As when they re certified. I haven't heard of any plans to reinstate EMT-Is in NJ, but anything is possible.

I've written a couple of pieces on NJ EMS and their related shenanigans. It seems now many towns are starting to get on board with the idea of paid municpal EMS... BLS only now, because of the certifcate of need crap, but who knows, give it a couple of years and New Jersey Townships may actually have paid professional ALS response.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.