Information on how to start BLS service???

texasmed1

Hello all!! It seems there are many of you out there that have started your own EMS service. I for one am interested in starting my own as well. I hear that there are business grants etc. especially for single women such as myself. But thus far I have been unsuccessful in obtaining this or any information for that matter. I would be starting from scratch from the get go..does anyone out there have any suggestions? :?: :lol:

Check your PM's.

Regards to you questions, financing and who will finance you is completely intrinsic on what your plan is. This determines need, projected financial stability, and therefore access to grant funds.

Post your plan...3...4....5 thousand years of EMS experience here...im sure theres help to be had.

Just for clarification, are you wanting to start an EMS service, or just an ambulance service? The differences in funding possibilities are vastly different.

I know in Oklahoma, there are several criteria you have to meet. A large upfront trust or insurance (I believe it is at least a 1/2 to 1 million) and there are no competition rulings as well. I am sure Tx. has similar laws to make sure someone does not start one, just to go debunk....

EMS is not an easy business, especially workman's comp, coding and billing or medicare and insurance, equipment and insurance liability. As far as I know there are no " special grants" for private EMS. Ubnless you are VERY specially skilled in management and healthcare administration, I advised not to go into EMS business.

Be safe,

R/R 911

Ah, okay. That is a plus for you, because it is a lot easier to get funding for a potentially profitable business venture than it is for a money losing, subsidized public service with a low reimbursement rate.

Back in the early 80's I was familiar with the SBA process, having had friends who went through it, including some minorities. But it has changed significantly since then. The best I can suggest is to simply call the SBA and get an appointment to speak with a counselor there to get some info and an overview. I would also get with your local minority business council, Chamber Of Commerce for advice. In addition to information on hand, they can put you in touch with others who they know who have very recently gone through the SBA and can give you up to date info. It doesn't have to be an ambulance company owner. To the SBA, a business is a business, and they are pretty well judged by the same criteria when assessing eligibility.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

I started and operated an EMS agency for over 10 years now, so take it from me Don't Do It. The worse is the cost and staffing. You never ever recoup your cost, if the insurance and vehicle cost don't do you in, the everyday equipment and waste of it will. On top of all of that staffing not only going to cost you but kill you. No one really wants to work, they just want to chase glory calls. If they don't feel they are getting enough "cool calls" they bounce to another service in most cases giving you little to no notice, and leaving you short staffed. Trust me I have aged so much but taking this on, if it wasn't for having so much money tired into it I would go out of business and just work the bus again. Yes, another point you have so much tired into it you can't get out very easy, you can stop doing it but what do you do with used ambulance equipment. Could sell it on e-bay but again only at a loss.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.