New Partner Blues

You were doing well until you got to number 5, mikey

Pulling that kind of crap is childish and a good reason to get left standing on the curb in the middle of nowhere. Or more likely to draw retaliation and be looked upon as an asshole by everyone else.

5. If you can't move, and you are truly miserable, do the things that will make that person beg for a transfer (fart on them, refuse to do it there way, transport everyone to the most distant hospital you can think of, especially at 3am ---- Not advocating you violate any policy --- but you can justify -- backboarding all trauma pts, transporting all hypoglycemics, not getting a refusal on a particular patient, making sure the truck is spottlessly cleaned with a toothbrush every shift, taking over the TV remote control and force them to watch whatever it is that they hate --------- DON'T harass, just have your own unique way of "doing it right, that is contrary to their belief". If that fails, have an affair with their significant other -- off-duty of course.

The fastest way to a hostile workplace accusation that I've ever heard. All that you just wrote is indeed harassment.

5. If you can't move, and you are truly miserable, do the things that will make that person beg for a transfer (fart on them, refuse to do it there way, transport everyone to the most distant hospital you can think of, especially at 3am ---- Not advocating you violate any policy --- but you can justify -- backboarding all trauma pts, transporting all hypoglycemics, not getting a refusal on a particular patient, making sure the truck is spottlessly cleaned with a toothbrush every shift, taking over the TV remote control and force them to watch whatever it is that they hate --------- DON'T harass, just have your own unique way of "doing it right, that is contrary to their belief". If that fails, have an affair with their significant other -- off-duty of course.

Now, I'm hoping that was all said with tongue firmly planted in cheek...otherwise, are you really advocating the innapropriate treatment of patient's just because you don't like the person you are working with and want to make them leave?

Think hard on this one.

Thats why it is # 5, and not # 1 --- apparantley you young-uns have not had the priviledge of working for a department that does not believe in transfers that they did not arrange. In many situations (most), agencies will put their absolute WORST, with their absolute BEST, because they know the good employees will not whine --- thats your punishment for being a team player in some places. When all else fails, and it is a choice of quitting, or getting rid of your douche bag (google it) partner, you have to take matters into your own hands. You will note: I first offerred a mature approach, then a supervisory approach, then the nuclear option if the others failed.

Now, I'm hoping that was all said with tongue firmly planted in cheek...otherwise, are you really advocating the innapropriate treatment of patient's just because you don't like the person you are working with and want to make them leave?

Think hard on this one.

How is transporting a patient inappropriate ? That is what most of them were thinking when they dialed 911, it is us that talks them out of going. Also note, I clearly stated that you should not violate any policy. Humming "don't worry, be happy" every shift, all day, does not violate any policy --- but is very effective.

Because all "trauma" patients don't need a backboard. All patients, hypoglycemic initially or otherwise, don't need to be transported. You are advocating taking people to the hospital that could otherwise be left at home or if appropriate find alternate means of transport, and performing an uneeded and potentially harmful intervention (backboard)...because you don't like the person you are working with.

It's not the partner that needs to be fired if that's what you think is acceptable.

Edited by triemal04
  • Like 1

First of all, to triemal and everyone else who quickly felt the need to attack my position: I have not seen your suggestions! Of course it is easy to lie in the weeds and just be a sniper.

As far as backboarding: You are right 95% of the time, but every service has had that 4-5% that ended up with a c-spine fx, skull fx, or brain bleed that presented as NORMAL and were left behind or were not backboarded until the ER staff did it -- post xrays/scans. If I put one bullet in the chamber of a gun and played russian roulette, I can argue that I only have a 1 in 6 chance of death, but their is not a person in this room that would take those odds.

As far as diabetics, think about it --- a few minutes ago, the patient was within 5 minutes of DEATH. Yes you gave the magic medicine that saved the day, but under what pretense are you assuming that the hypoglycemia was not due to infection or other metabolic problems that you can not find with a b/p cuff and a monitor (Oh, I know, its due to the very lucid response to questions you asked the patient who was near death a few minutes ago --- Or is it due to the glucometer and supplies in your ambulance that you trust so much). Ask any ER Doc if they will discharge a hypoglycemic patient, after just administering an amp of D50. No, there is a reason that lab work is done, prior to discharge.

If my family were being treated, I would rather not have the average medic who gets a refusal on 50% of their patients.

Regardless, we are off on a tangent here --- please get back to the original question, and give the OP some advice. We can argue in private messages about my positions (whether real or tongue in cheek). Lets not hijack the thread.

Edited by mikeymedic1984

I can't say I'd advocate taking action on my patients just to spite my partner. Evidence based medicine along with operating within the bounds of one's treatment guidelines hardly takes a backseat to interpersonal conflicts between partners. It isn't the patient's fault that the two providers in question don't get along. No sense in punishing the patient for it.

Reasonable, adult measures are certainly in order. Honest attempts at open communication, understanding the other person and teaching can go a long way. As with other potential personnel issues document everything. If it comes down to it at least then you'd have a record of your attempts and reactions received.

Sometimes, however, despite the best efforts of those involved people just don't get along. Failing the above just do your thing and let your partner do his/her thing. Unless it's blatantly dangerous and could cause potential harm to either the patient, you or others on the street, be professional with your differences. If it really is that bad you're going to need something documented in order to go to the boss to request a change in assignment.

If the partner in question is as bad as described in the OP, there are certainly safety, workplace environment and HR issues that should provide plenty of evidence that a change needs to be made.

MTA: Sometimes making huge destructive waves is the best way to go about things. Choose your battles, and waves, carefully.

Edited by paramedicmike

I'm sorry there mikey, I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but your half-assed justification and back-pedaling makes that impossible. You made a completely ignorant and innapropriate suggestion; deal with it.

You suggested taking punitive action against a bad partner by backboarding ALL trauma patients. This would indicate that you know that ALL trauma patients don't require a backboard. Trying to bring up some made up numbers to make your comment disappear doesn't work.

You suggested taking punitive action against a bad partner by transporting ALL hypoglycemics, suggesting that you know that ALL hypoglycemics don't need transport. Your clear lack of medical knowledge (5 minutes of death? Really? How about more hyperbole?) and an apparent inability to examine a patient is nothing more than another smokescreen for your bullshit comments.

The first 4 things you suggested were fine, good advice actually. But when you start telling people to treat patients innapropriately and potentially harmfully because you don't like your partner you are nothing more than a hack who should be fired and barred from ever touching another patient.

• Like 1

Mikey:

If you bothered to read through the thread you would see advice given prior to your posting.

What you said is just so wrong in many ways and as a "manager"

You should know this!

No I never worked for a crappy company that promoted poor quality patient care as it would seem you have.

Last time anyone referred to me as a young un was a 100 yo pt of mine He had earned the right to do so.

You have not

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.