Fallon EMS

StameyEMT

Is there anyone here that works or has worked at Fallon EMS in MA? I am applying to different places and basically I want to know of they do more 911 or transfers. I am trying to get some good 911 experience before I start medic school so I am hesitant to apply to places that are mainly transfer. I have met a few people that transferred out of there after a while but is it a good place to start? Thanks!

Do you think it would be wise to start medic school soon with no emergency experience other that that a 50hr internship?

Yes yes yes, don't be an emt for a year, that's just a waste of your time unless you are being an emt for work and going to school as well.

The better thought would be to get your pre-requisites done such as college level a&p and biology

The only thing you are doing by working as an EMT for a year to get that elusive "experience" is delaying the start of your paramedic class work.

That's my opinion only but I think others on this site would agree with it.

You'll get a lot of people who will say otherwise, but I agree that going straight to paramedic school is a good idea. Learn it all fresh. Learn it all new. Do not give yourself time to develop shortcuts and bad habits.

That way, when you become a paramedic, you will be fresh as a paramedic and not jaded like a burned out EMT.

I will add, too, that you should find an accredited paramedic program (accredited by these guys) through which to earn your education. Otherwise, you are short changing yourself.

There is only one accredited program in Massachusetts. Hope you're close to Cambridge.

Ok, dumb question. In the long run, what is the difference between an accredited program like Center for Medics (the only one in MA and only 30 min from me!) then a program from a community college? I took an EMT program at a community college and was planning on doing their medic program as well. That being said I want to get the BEST training possible and the $$ was roughly the same.

I've typed in a reply here three times over the past two days and every time I click "post" the site goes down.

The long run will probably not result in higher wages or better income. It will, however, offer you a program that has met standards as established by an independent agency as to the curriculum and educational infrastructure available to the student.

It will not guarantee you an education. It will offer you a better chance for a better education if you put the effort into it.

It will offer you the opportunity to pursue additional certification down the road. National Registry certification is not required by Massachusetts. However, if you decide to move to NH or any number of other states, for whatever reason, it will allow easier transition to earning NR certification (as NR will soon be requiring accreditation of programs in order to sit for NR testing).

The emphasis here is on the program itself. Accredited programs have meet the standards outlined by the independent agency, as established by the agency in cooperation with industry leaders, for the benefit of the student.

As always research your choices accordingly. Talk to former and current students. Talk to faculty if you can. Find out the certifying exam first time pass rate for all programs you're considering.

And, of course, ask us if you have questions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.