Beware of Air Methods

I know you think the flight jobs are the end all job and you'd do anything to get one. As a 27 year medic with 18 in flight I was recently hired by Air Methods for a base in Oregon. They stayed for 3 months, had 24+ people move and uproot, leave their good jobs and work earnestly to be successful. Air Methods gave the effort NO support and without warning pulled the plug. If you are thinking about working for them, think long and hard. Jobs are hard to come by. Since this just happened to me and I posted the event in public, there have been many people responding saying it happened in their area. REMEMBER IF THEY CANNOT FIND SUCKERS TO WORK FOR THEM THEY WILL BE HARD PRESSED TO BEHAVE THAT WAY. Think hard, I just watched alot of peoples lives turned upside down in a harsh economy by Air Methods GREED!

I would suggest you take a little time to get to know the people on EMT City before making sweeping generalisations about what we all want and what we are willing to do to complete our goals. This site contains a diverse group of providers with varying goals and aspirations.

While I sympathize with anyone who loses their job due to company shenanigans, this should be an abject reminder to anyone considering a job change to perform thier due dilegence, especially when looking to open a new service or base. Let me be clear: especially when opening a new service or base in fact.

Oregon is saturated with flight programs; Life Flight, Reach, Air Life, Mercy Flights, Cal-Ore... Ontario, where Air Methods was based is in fact home to one of the Life Flight bases. Interestingly enough, up till very recently Air Methods provided the air frames, and I believe the pilots and ground crew for Life Flight. What happens seems to have been that Life Flight went to a new group and Air Methods didn't want to lose the revenue, so they opened their own competing base. Ignoring that Life Flight is very well established in Oregon and is the defacto provider for that part of the state.

It's no fun to lose your job, but before picking up and moving to a new state, let alone changing employers a bit of research is in order.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.