EMTCity needs a Wiki or a FAQ section

Ok, all the old timers on this forum will more than likely agree with me and I think this is LONG LONG Overdue. Every day I see the same questions over and over and it's about time that we have some process of pointing the new members to an EMT city approved (so to speak) area where they can get their newbie questions answered. It's a big task and would require much effort but if this site is to truly cater to the new members I think this will be completely worth it.

We need a FAQ or a WIKI section. A place that the new city members can go to get their basic and some more advanced questions answered.

I'd like to spearhead this effort but I'm probably not the right person to really be the writer of this FAQ since I've been out of the field for a bit. But I'd like to coordinate it and edit it along with a couple other members, I'm thinking of a few members here which if this is a concept that is deemed a good idea by the members of this forum I'll PM the members I think would be great editors.

I'm thinking a few of the FAQ topics would be

How to become a EMT/MEdic/FF/nurse

Specific State requirements for licensure

Driving/licensure issues - what do I do if this happens????

Ride-alongs - how old is too young

Clinicals and what to expect

Class and what to expect

The national registry - good bad and ugly

Continuing education - what counts and what doesn't -

All these can be constantly updatable and might require a good amount of editing from time to time.

Admin might have the capability to provide us a WiKI on this forum or he might allow a linkage out to a specific wiki, I don't know, this is in it's infancy stage of development.

Sounds like a great idea. I think the EMS forum on SDN has a pretty good starting point for this. I think ours would need to be more comprehensive (including the things you brought up, Ruff). I think we could use a suggestion/feedback thread also.

I'm all for suggestions, Let's use this thread as a suggestion for the forum topics. Maybe have a specific forum area for this idea. I know Admin could do that.

So call for suggestions begins today.

Please provide suggestions as to what a new user would need to know and take into consideration what they have in the past or are currently asking.

One consistent thread topic is this "I want to become an EMT/medic/ff/nurse" but I don't know where to start" That is a very consistent topic over the past several weeks. So consider that as the first topic in this WIKI/FAQ.

Admin- what are your thoughts as to how this should be managed - can you set us up a wiki or can you set us up a new group of forum pages that are for Newbies - it's your forum so I'll let you think about it and help us with this.

I like the idea Ruff. I think it would be better then a lot of the cut and paste answers that are sometimes given. Also might help a lurker become a member to inquire further after reading the basics.

I can help if necessary.

I think it would be good to have people from every state or region possible as to confirm or refute information provided from another area if it exists in their area. Or if not at least have a way to discern the factual basis from area to area. As an example what EMTs can and can not do from state to state.

Keep em Coming. Mike, that's a great idea as well. I'll let this run thru the end of the week with ideas, then take those ideas and work up a plan to submit to Admin for our own section of the forums if he's game.

Then we can really go about getting this off the ground.

And ERDoc, no one forgot you, wannabe whackers just can't go from zero to doctor hero in 9 months. :clown:

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.