question abt the MMPI ....did u have to take it? Can they make you take it?

I have noticed, as i embark on the EMT job search, that different agencies can have vastly different skills tests and asessments they may put a candidate through. One agency i am in the hiring process for-which is not Charlotte's Medic EMS service, since they do not require their people to take the MMPI-is going to require me to take the infamous MMPI, the controversial 500 question, suposedly exhaustively thorough, 'see into your soul' Minnesota multiphasic personality test. I can't say i agree with that requirement, but i was told it's so they can 'evaluate if a person is cut out for the job'.

Has anyone else here had to take this or any other pre-hire personality test? How'd it go? Could you opt out? Did they give you the results? Did you or anyone you know not get the job due to the results? And just what the heck are they looking for as far as you being a good bet? What traits are they looking to see?

The only established, proper way to interpret the results is to both take the test and have a brief interview with a shrink. I'm not so sure they'll be doing the shrink part of it. And just to get this out of the way, yes, the MMPI has s built-in deception detector which will detect if you're lying on many of your answers. I could get into just how that works, and most people who think they know how that's done are wrong, but trust me, there's no way to skew the test in yohr favor and not have it show up.

Thanks,bros and sisters

• Like 1

Has anyone else here had to take this or any other pre-hire personality test?

Yes.

How'd it go?

It went well.

Could you opt out?

No.

Did they give you the results?

Yes.

Did you or anyone you know not get the job due to the results?

Not that I'm aware. Given the sensitivity of what this type of test is looking for I doubt that it would be something casually discussed.

And just what the heck are they looking for as far as you being a good bet? What traits are they looking to see?

That you're not a sociopathic axe murderer to start.

The only established, proper way to interpret the results is to both take the test and have a brief interview with a shrink. I'm not so sure they'll be doing the shrink part of it.

That's disappointing. I thought meeting with the psychologist afterwards was an interesting experience. We had a great discussion.

And just to get this out of the way, yes, the MMPI has s built-in deception detector which will detect if you're lying on many of your answers. I could get into just how that works, and most people who think they know how that's done are wrong, but trust me, there's no way to skew the test in yohr favor and not have it show up.

Thanks,bros and sisters

Really? So what is the "built in deception detector" that most people think they know about but don't really? I'm always interested in learning something new.

Took the MMPI or a similar psych test for my current job. Since I wasn't rejected I have to assume it went well...although the psychologist administering did mention that it was set to determine more the type of personality that you had/type of person that you were versus trying to find out if you were nuts...as he put it, "don't worry about this, if you were going to fail it would allready be very clear that you had a problem." :devil:

There was no way to opt out, although I think for my department you can choose another psychologist or psychiatrist to administer the test, though at that point the fee came out of your pocket.

I was NOT able to get the results; since the test was being administered as part of the hiring process there was no doctor/patient relationship, and, just guessing, but whatever my department paid probably didn't cover going over the results with the testee. I think he offered to send the results to elsewhere but I can't remember.

We did the whole deal, including an interview during the test that was more of a Q&A with follow up questions based on my answers.

I'm guessing, as far as what the specific department is looking for, it's probably similar to how various tests work; they want a specific type of person and use the results of the test to determine that. Exactly what they are looking for will vary, but spend some time riding with them and you can probably come up with a good guess.

Personally I think it's a great idea, as long as it's administered by a competant psychologist/psychiatrist. Even if someone doesn't have any glaring problems, some personalities are just not cut out to be in the fire, law enforcement, military or medical fields.

Consider yourself lucky that its only a 500 question test. When I became a cop I had to take a battery of Psychological tests including the MMPI. 2,500 questions in total. Took me 8 1/2 hours. Then had a meeting with the psychologist to review the test results. That was an additional 2 hours (fortunately on a seperate day).

I would have no problem taking any psych test and yes they can make you take it. As long as your honest with yourself it will go ok.

I've had to take it several times and we had to administer it on each other in Mental Health. It's no biggie and you shouldn't stress about it or try to get out of it. All it does is identify personality traits.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.