Just completed a six month project.

Thanks for the replies everybody!

Scuba, it appears you are calling me out? I hoped this question would come up. Unfortunately, it appears that I'm a hypocrite. I completed a bridge programme. Allow me to explain.

I was approached by my boss (EMS programme director) about doing a bridge transition. She made several points that revolved around my past experience as a transport nurse and EMT in addition to pointing out that I've taught every paramedic course and had been a clinical preceptor.

These points certainly carry weight, but what made the change was that there exists scant evidence about the best way for a RN in my position to make the transition. My objections were based on pride and conformational bias. I did something very difficult, I changed my mind.

I had significant input into the bridge and good support from my boss and our programme medical director. A programme was developed that included didactic, lab and clinical components. In addition, I had to take every block exam that the paramedic students have to take, but entirely new exams were developed so I had no idea what to expect. A hospital clinical rotation was required and I rode for many shifts with a paramedic service that runs dual medic crews where I took the place of one of the paramedics. The experience included about 400 hours of classroom and clinical experience.

I am still not sure of the optimal programme length or duration, but I hope most people will find what I completed to be robust, fair and adequate.

• Like 1

Not intended to call you out, just that I'm looking at taking an RN-Paramedic bridge class next summer. It would be a year long of mostly cardiac and respiratory emergency management at a community college that teaches both RN and Paramedic degree programs.

I let my paramedic lapse when I moved out here to CO a few years back and really miss the field.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.