Man threatens and rides down EMT

Secouriste

That's ok, everyone looking for an empty parking space in the US, becomes an @$$hole as well. I prolly would have just let him have the spot, then had the illegally parked cars, towed...then of course park somewhere else for a few hours so they don't blame you b/c their car was towed. :)

Edited by Chief1C

• 1 month later...

Sorry, it was a metaphor, but maybe it doesn't translate so well in english.

I just mean that, the same way no one should ever target an ambulance (that's the principle of the red cross), an EMT should never be assaulted in any way or for any reason. Of course, the same can be said about anyone, but in France (because I don't know how that works in the US) any criminal action taken against someone on public service duty will be more severely punished.

There is a basic respect people have to observe toward people working for the general interest.

I'm not talking of the problem of drunk or drugged or psych patients.

In the situation described in the original post, the person, sober and with no obvious psych issue, decided to hurt a fellow EMT with his car (which I deemed as weapon). There is no forgiving for such thing.

But that's my point of view.

I hope it's clearer.

Unfortunately this is becoming mroe and more common in the so called "civilized world". amd even in uncivilized america too..LOL

It is an unfortunate thing, but just because someone puts on a uniform, doesn't mean they will not be attacked. Check recent events.

A guy set fire to a building, then shot at responding Fire Department members, killing 2 Fire Fighter/EMTs, before the local LEOs shot and killed the arsonist/gunman.

Another guy kidnapped an entire Fire Department apparatus crew, by threatening them with a gun. The crew was rescued when the LEOs shot and killed the gunman.

It doesn't even have to be a planned attack. New York City Health and Hospital Corporation EMS EMT Christopher Prescott was working with his partner, Carol Buffa, at the scene of a car crash in Brooklyn. Despite the traffic lanes being blocked by a number of FDNY apparatus and NYPD patrol cars, and all, including the ambulance, with their emergency lights illuminated, some drunk driver felt that it was all right to try and cross the traffic lane. He ended up pinning Chris and Carol between his front bumper and the ambulance's rear bumper-step. EMT Christopher Prescott died of his injuries, and EMT Carol Buffa, due to her injuries, was not able to return to work for over a year.

As it was the first Line Of Duty Death in the history of the NYC (HHC) EMS, from it's founding in 1970 (this was 1996), The funeral was large, with multiple states being represented, from Fire Departments, EMS agencies, and Police Departments. Any NYC (HHC) EMS members not working that day, or covering the station where EMT Prescott had worked from, were at the funeral.

(EMT Prescott's death and funeral was prior to the EMS being moved from the HHC to the FDNY on March 17, 1996.

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer)

Yes, we all learn pretty soon, that not only the uniform doesn't really matters, but also that being here to help doesn't change much either... to certain people.

As was said in the EMTs' declarations, it is one thing to be threatened or attacked by someone drunk or under drugs, it's another thing when the person has no mental alteration.

On our side we think the situation was handled as well as possible, given the man's temper. And even if, let's say it, no real harm was done, we pressed charges in the name of all EMTs and firefighters, because the public service of emergency rescue is something so important it cannot suffer and must not suffer the tiniest offense.

The trial will be held in september, the man face serious penalties.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.