reasonable evidence that i'll be able to get a job

imouto

So, about a month ago, I started getting really into the idea of getting an EMT-b certification, because becoming an ER tech or clinical support technician sounds ideal. This is only a job I plan on having for 3-5 years, as I’m working on prerequisites for my masters and will be applying within 1-3 years (I already finished my BA), and want a job more relevant than customer service and secretary work. I have read a lot about people who are mentioning becoming EMT-bs as well, and a lot of people are saying is difficult to get a job unless you’re a med student/future med student which I am not, since I want to work as an OT or SLP. And no, no aide positions available.

I’m seeing people hiring for 6 positions in my area for EMT-bs stating previous experience is preferred but not necessary. Is this enough evidence, so to speak, that in six months when I get certified, I’ll be able to find a job? I’ve been trying to research other options online, and other forums are suggesting becoming a pharmacy tech or phlembotomy tech. I see literally one job for each in the same range as EMTs, so I’m not sure what these people are talking about. Becoming a CNA is another option, with the ability to become a clinical support tech or unit secretary, but I’m afraid of getting stuck with long-term patient care aka changing diapers. There are 30+ job openings for CNAs around here, but becoming an EMT sounds much more interesting to me. Should I take the chance becoming an EMT or just go and be a CNA? It’s my plan for only a couple of years and not a career for me.

Also, it seems actual ambulance companies want me to be able to life 125lbs. I weigh 100lb and can lift my body weight and probably more with a few more months at the gym – but I’m sure I’m going to stay as small as I am now. Do you think they’ll not hire me just because I probably look like I can’t lift much? The pay isn’t a factor as long as it’s more than you’d make at McDonald’s. I still live with my parents, free of charge, and my community college tuition is not that high.

One more question: I know having a criminal background is no good, but I received a jay-walking ticket (and in another country). Applications are asking for me to include misdemeanors, so I figured I'd ask you guys. Thanks!

It depends on where you live I guess. Where I am, there are about 10 companies in my area that hire EMT's so it shouldn't be that hard to find an entry level EMT job. 125 pounds with someone else, right? Not alone. That isn't hard with a partner.

With CNA, you will usually always be able to find work and since you only want to do it for a few years, maybe you should do that instead. I think the training for CNA is about the same amount of time though... and cost.

but I’m afraid of getting stuck with long-term patient care aka changing diapers

You surely will be as a CNA. The whole point of CNA is to do what the Nurses don't want to do and provide basic, daily care to people who can't do it for themselves... usually in Nursing Homes or the Hospital.

If I train as an EMT and pass everything, I will be making it my career. I think CNA is more of a short term kind of job.

Edited by jsd67

It depends on where you live I guess. Where I am, there are about 10 companies in my area that hire EMT's so it shouldn't be that hard to find an entry level EMT job. 125 pounds with someone else, right? Not alone...

Oh wow, I typo'd that, too. It shouldn't be life 125 lbs but lift 125 lbs obviously.

The job description asks to lift 125 lbs alone and 250 lbs with one person assisting you.

They won't hire based on your physical fitness just by looking at you, you will probably have to actually be evaluated doing a fitness test. You'll have to be more descriptive regarding the lift requirement. Does it have to be over your head? Up to your waist? Moved in a wheelbarrow? Many companies have different tests, and there is no standard.

Don't be worried about the jaywalking ticket. I don't even think that qualifies as a misdemeanour, does it? EMS services will often provide you an opportunity to ride with them if you're interested in learning more about the job. It can be trying at times, and more stressful than CNA. Sometimes dangerous with long hours. Often on 24 hour call.

Drag 125 pounds across the ground? I wouldn't think that they would require anyone to lift 125 pounds over their heads and carry it around.

It's probably the way a man lifts a Woman and carrys her over the threshold type of lifting.

Edited by jsd67

They won't hire based on your physical fitness just by looking at you, you will probably have to actually be evaluated doing a fitness test. You'll have to be more descriptive regarding the lift requirement. Does it have to be over your head? Up to your waist? Moved in a wheelbarrow? Many companies have different tests, and there is no standard.

Don't be worried about the jaywalking ticket. I don't even think that qualifies as a misdemeanour, does it? EMS services will often provide you an opportunity to ride with them if you're interested in learning more about the job. It can be trying at times, and more stressful than CNA. Sometimes dangerous with long hours. Often on 24 hour call.

That's good to know. I assume companies hiring for EMS services are much more professional, but I've had people turn me away from even applying places, because I'm too young, probably because of my statue (and they didn't even ask my age). I doubt 21 is too young to work in retail!

Jaywalking is usually an infraction, but it's sometimes considered a misdemeanour depending on where you live. I believe it was a misdemeanour where I received it, but I can't seem to find information on it specifically in my state -- I'm guessing that means it's an infraction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.