Fairfax County Volunteer EMT

AOne

From what I remember of the Fairfax County system there is some decent integration of the two systems. There is, and there always will be, some tension between paid and volly staffing. Think about it. The paid guys are doing a job that you're willing to do for free. There's some perceived threat there. This isn't limited to just Fairfax Co. It's seen in a lot of systems especially in the greater DC metro area because a lot of counties there are similar in structure. Keep this in mind when interacting with your fellow vollies and the paid guys.

Very true over in that area. Most of the systems work great together, PG County in MD is almost notorious for it's relationship between the paid and volly side. MC where I was still had tensions, and I'm sure Fairfax is the same way.

I'm curious, why have you set on Fairfax? Do you live close to a firehouse? Also are you >18? Your experience as an adult full member will be vastly different than as a junior member in any of these systems.

I second Mike also on the donuts...there has been a big push to make firehouse eating healthier so bringing donuts may not be good. Best best is show up willing to do housework. The firehouse is a second home and must be kept clean and organized inorder to remain a successful working environment.

I'm curious, why have you set on Fairfax? Do you live close to a firehouse? Also are you >18? Your experience as an adult full member will be vastly different than as a junior member in any of these systems.

I live in Fairfax County. I am looking at three different stations (Lorton Volunteer Fire Department, Greater Springfield Volunteer Fire Department or Franconia Volunteer Fire Department).

Also, I am 32. Typically, how much does age play into meshing with the team? I am sure that maturity goes a long way but a green person is a green person, right?

Any replies appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to even read this thread.

Age shouldn't matter. I was 16 when I joined, 19 when I became a medic, and was running my own night crew at 19. I was training and responsible for people your age and even older. Respect and responsibility should be there regardless of age. You seem very focused on being "green" and there is no reason to be. Everyone had to start sometime and kudos to you for starting now. If you consistently act like you're new, then a lot of people will treat you that way. Confidence but not over confident is the way to go. Be eager to learn, but also step up and take responsibility.

Whatever department you join will likely have fundraisers. Take ownership in your department and help with the fundraisers. People will notice that and will appreciate you for it.

Good luck and let us know when you start your basic training :)

Kate's pretty spot on. Age isn't always so important. Act like a noob and you'll be treated like a noob no matter how old you are. Be confident when you go in. If you don't know something, say so. If you need to ask, ask. Do not lead in with, "I'm new...". A green person is still green. How that individual handles being green is more telling than simply being new. That's where maturity comes into play.

Greater Springfield is a decent station. At least it used to be when I lived in the area. Franconia is ok. Don't know anything about Lorton.

Have you gone to talk to any of these stations yet?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.