Paying for grad school?

chbare

I would like to throw this out to you folks who have post bac, graduate and post grad degrees and certificates. Do you have any tips or information about paying the tuition. The degree that I am starting this spring is considered a STEM (Pharmaceutical science with a specific concentration.) degree so I have looked at some of the STEM options and because I am an instructor, I am looking at the possibility of educator scholarships.

I see the DOD offers a SMART scholarship to STEM degrees, but you have to give your life away to the DOD and I am fairly content with my position.

In any event, I appreciate the input.

I just graduated from grad school. I'm in student loan debt up to my eyeballs. Federal subsidized, unsubsidized and GradPlus loans. Short term it paid for school. Long term I'll be paying it off for a while.

I had no problem applying for or receiving the loans. The school's financial aid office was very efficient (to make sure they got paid). Once my licensing comes through and I start working again I'll be looking for loan repayment options either through my employer or through other programs.

• Like 2

Congrats Mike ! It's great to hear that you are now in debt up to your eyeballs.

My wife just finished her BSN program to add onto her B.ed, M.ed ,ADN & now BSN. so I know where your at.

Chris: the hospital where my wife works paid $XXXX per year towards her degree program as they are pushing for the BSN . It didn't pay for everything but covered most of the base tuition cost. The state also has several funds for older students getting back to college.

Edited by island emt
  • Like 1

Yeah, I could probably work a deal with a health care facility or network if I was looking at a MS in nursing. Unfortunately, the degree is not nursing related in any sense other than it involves pharmacology. The college that employes me allows me to take 6 credits a semester free but I teach and work during class hours so I simply cannot take advantage of these free courses. This programme involves a fair amount of online time and I have a good working relationship with my college's chemistry stock room and biology department, so lab work can be completed. I just cannot take traditional classes without leaving my job.

Edited by chbare
  • Like 1

Thanks, Ed. Now if I could only see where I was going.

Chris, does your non-college employer have a tuition reimbursement program where you pay back in terms of time owed to the employer? I know some health care employers offer this kind of program to encourage their employees to continue their education. Some places offer more for advanced education in the employees field (e.g. a MSN program for a BSN) while still offering reimbursement just at a lower rate for a program outside the employee's field (e.g. a STEM program for a BSN). It might be worth asking.

Of course, owing them time after you complete the program could be an issue, too, depending on your future plans.

• Like 1

The college is my primary employer and the other EMS services I work at typically only have me moonlighting a day here and a day there. I am not sure any of these places would respond positively if I approached them asking for money because I am really interested in heavy metal chemistry and toxicology and want to do a MS where I have a chance of studying heavy metals in detail.