EMT-B Instructional Books

Julian A

Get yourself an anatomy study guide, and brush up on your basic human anatomy. This is the best thing you can do in the next few weeks before your class starts. EMT-B does not cover nearly enough anatomy to help you succeed in this field.

Also big kudos for trying to get ahead of the curve!

Welcome to the city.

• Like 1

Find out what text books are used during class and determine if they have a corresponding study guide. Then, rather than read the book to try to answer the questions in the guide, read the question in the guide first and look up the answer in the book. A good guide is designed in such a manner that once you've answered all the questions you should have read the entire book about 3 times.

• Like 1

*Update* My mom, a physician assistant, reccomended a book called the "Anatomy Coloring Book". Despite my initial reservations concerning the name, the book actually looks pretty useful. The author is Wynn Kapit/Lawrence M. Elson. Anybody have any experience with this book?

Yep. It's been a few years... ok... it's been a lot of years... but the anatomy colouring books were very helpful to me way back when.

I know what you were thinking. It's a colouring book. Kids stuff. I thought the same thing. But it really was helpful to me at the time.

Give it a shot.

I know you're still in HS, but see if you can work out something with the local community college about taking an anatomy class over the spring or summer. College credit PLUS the beginnings of a solid educational foundation? Win win!

• Like 1

The coloring books really helped me... It will help also if you find one with blanks and arrows so as you color you can try to quiz yourself on the anatomy. Start with the big picture and then go down from there. Mike has the best advice to try and take a college anatomy class...A lot of them offer an intro to anatomy class that give a broad overview and might be perfect for you at this time... and earning college credits at the same time is a big plus!

• Like 1

The coloring book helped me also. Another suggestion is a medical terminology course. It may be offered through your high school, if not you could take an online college version possibly. If neither of those options are available I'd find a book and try to understand some of the terms before class starts. That would definetely give you a running start.

Call your local hospital and see if they have a medical terminology course they are giving to their new employees. See if you can get in. You might know someone that works at one of the hospitals that can pull some strings.

Or better yet go here. For 50.00 you can get your Medical Terminlogy course taken. No certificate, that will cost an extra 25.00 but do you really need a certificate????? NAH not really unless you feel a need for a piece of paper that will do nothing for you in your EMT Class.

http://www.universalclass.com/i/course/medical-terminology-101.htm

Michael