Where Do I Start In My Journey To Becoming A EMT

ACurtis12

Well, first I'd ask what your career goals are. Why do you want to be an EMT? Where do you want to be an EMT? Have you researched the job market for EMTs? Do you know if you stand any chance of getting an EMT job once you're finished the program?

If you are convinced that this is what you have your heart set to do then I'd say you should consider moving away from California. Enroll in, at a minimum, a college level anatomy and physiology class. (It's probably better for you in the long run to get a good, solid college level educational foundation under your belt before completely entering the EMS workforce.) Next I would suggest researching any EMT program that looks interesting to you. Talk, if possible, to current and former students. Talk to the instructors. Ask about job placement services or how many of their graduates get an actual EMT job after the program is concluded. Then pick a program that you think will suit you best and apply.

Lastly, ask us if you have any other questions. We'll do what we can to help.

• 4 weeks later...

I was told EMT jobs have a very high turnover rate and there's always jobs available

thats because in many places an EMT Basic is on the same or lower pay scale than a burger flipper at mcD's or taco bell.

You are a body to employers and cheaper by the dozen.

You are a body to employers and cheaper by the dozen.

Sorry to break it to you mate but you're just a body to me too, I no longer love you and have filed for divorce :D

I would recommend you start with a thorough foundation in chemistry and biology, anatomy, physiology, English and then take a very important class called "Avoiding Kiwi and Everything It Says 101".