Fearless Felix

paramedicmike

I get CNN breaking News alerts in my e-mail:

Skydiver Felix Baumgartner has landed safely on Earth after skydiving from 128,000 feet. His parachute deployed successfully along the way.

Well, no fricking duh!!!!

This guy took my son's interest and kept it. My son now has a new hero but I'm still his ultimate hero of course. Super hero dad of course.

But this guy, damn, what a nut job, I'm not really sure why he did this. I'm sure it's for the furtherment of science and how far the human body can be pushed but has he reached the limit of where he can go.

He went to the edge of space. IF he goes to outer space and tries to re-enter the atmosphere, he's a goner for sure unless he has a new super suit.

So what else can he do???

I'm sure he's up for suggestions. Anyone want to offer any here for him?

There was research to go along with this, too. The medical director was the spouse of one of the astronauts killed in the Discovery accident so there was vested interest in the suit and applications to space flight. NASA was involved in research. There was a lot going on hidden behind the face of a four plus minute, 100,000 foot free fall.

I was reading that. What a good thing to come from the tragedy of long ago. I did a lot of research into the challenger tragedy when it happened and then again many years after it and With the challenger tragedy nothing would have saved the crew. The Discovery might be a different story. I'm not up to date on it.

It would be good that if this suit were to be able to be put to practical use for our astronauts, what a good thing it would be.

It's always the sensational that sticks in our minds bbut the behind the scenes is where it's really at.

I'll have to get my son to start to research what Felix and his colleagues have done behind the scenes and maybe he can learn something even more than what the jump itself did. He's a science smart kid, maybe he can submit anything he learns to one of those science contests. hmmmmmmmmm something to think about.