Man kills masked intruder only to find out it's his son

scratrat

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/09/man_shoots_intruder_son_ends_u.html

My gosh...where do I begin...

A shame really. But here's where anti-gun activists get their reasoning. You didn't think you should maybe find out who it is?? Identify yourself as armed? Something?? Kid looks pretty scrawny...you probably didn't need to resort to firing a weapon. Shame he has to live with that for the rest of his life. No, I wasn't there so I guess I shouldn't be judgin but geez

I can't see the story, but the headline is certainly tragic...What a mess...

Folks are going to need to be really careful to keep an eye on dad's state of mind I'm thinking or there's liable to be more than one member of that family that will be dead from a gunshot in the near future...

I can't see the story, but the headline is certainly tragic...What a mess...

The crux of the story is The dad lives next to an aunt. The aunt calls to alert someone was trying to break in. The dad gets his gun and walks outside to investigate. The kid is in the yard and rushed the dad while wearing a ski mask. The kid allegedly had something in his hand. Dad shot him. The dad is a 5th grade school teacher.

Very sad, but as with most things, there is probably more to the story.

• Like 1

While it is a news story and details are immediately suspect (because it is a news story and journalists are, well, suspect) the son was found with a knife in his hand when the cops got there. I can't imagine the father setting that up after shooting the kid.

If this is all, in fact, true, and everything was legal with regards to the weapon owned by dad, it could be argued that the shooting was justified. That doesn't make anything that happened here worth it.

But damn what an effed up story.

• Like 1