crappy leadership

reno1976

I have been experiencing problems with my boss here in Alpine Texas. It is a private service and I have been making moves to get away, yet my boss has let his Girlfriend (EMT-:) to run the company and even boss around Paramedics on scene. It is remarkably unprofessional. My boss actually spend all of his time playing "puzzle pirates" at home while we medics do all the work. Apparently he has been doing business like this for many years. I try to urge change helpfully through the proper channels only to be shut down by my bosses girlfriend. So I have quit and secured a job elsewhere and now I am the town BAD GUY. WTF? Does anyone have any idea why this is allowed. The state is fixing to shut down his operation. If he ruins my reputation should I have him shut down? I do not want to be a disgruntled employee but it is like they are forcing me to through harassing phone calls etc. What should I do?

You are no longer employed by the said service right? Get caller id and don't answer their calls. If they leave a message and it is harrassing then keep a copy of the recording.

Keep records and if needed turn them into the state.

I would ignore them unless of course they have your last paycheck or vacation pay that they are refusing to pay.

I agree with Ruffems. record all threatening messages, and turn into the state if necessary. By the sounds of your former employer, the State is already on to him.

As for ruining your reputation, I'm quite sure that other agency's in your area are aware of this individual, and anything they hear from him will all be taken with a grain of salt.

Best of luck with your new service!

I agree with CDN here.

If the state is already on to him then let them at him

As for your reputation, more than likely what this guy says about you won't mean jack to many. There may be some who listen to him but if his reputation precedes him then you should be ok.

Your reputation is your bond. You work to make a great rep and someone bad mouths you it hurts. Once people see you for who you are their perceptions are usually changed if your rep is good.

just my opinion

Do as the above posts state, I would also hire an attorney to draw a letter of intent for all discussion to cease & dismiss immediately. This usually will be all that is needed and does not cost very much. If they continue then you have resources to take them to court.

Good luck,

Ridryder 911

yet my boss has let his Girlfriend (EMT-:) to run the company and even boss around Paramedics on scene

I agree with all of the replys. My question is this; has any patient suffered undue pain or has any patient gotten delayed care from her making decisions that paramedics should have made? If that is the case, I am sure the state would be interested in hearing about any of those instances. Protocols are protocols. I seriously doubt their protocol says that she has the authority over a paramedic when making medical decisions. I am not sure, but a paramedic may even be in a little hot water if they follow her instructions and not follow protocol.

As far as I know, unless the Paramedic is doing something blatantly and obviously incorrect and harmful to a patient, BLS cannot tell them what to do.

With the exception of a BLS employed as a supervisor, I know of no state DoH allowing an EMT to "boss around" a Paramedic.

Paramedics can, and do, make "recommendations" to BLS level-trained supervisors, but supervisors usually have the last word.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.