New Mom pumping breast milk at work.

Littlemama1

Thanks so much for the support. I guess I'm just having a cause of "nerves". I just remember all the times in EMS when everyone is so busy that u don't eat breakfast til 10:00 at night. :). But that is usually the exception not the rule. Thanks again, I'm feeling much more confident that I can do this...

Interesting article: http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx

"President Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, H.R. 3590, on March 23 and the Reconciliation Act of 2010, H.R. 4872, on March 30, 2010. (See the combined full text of Public Laws 111-148 and 111-152 here.) Among many provisions, Section 4207 of the law amends the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1938 (29 U.S. Code 207) to require an employer to provide reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child's birth each time such employee has need to express milk. The employer is not required to compensate an employee receiving reasonable break time for any work time spent for such purpose. The employer must also provide a place, other than a bathroom, for the employee to express breast milk. If these requirements impose undue hardship, an employer that employs fewer than 50 employees is not subject to these requirements. The federal requirements shall not preempt a state law that provides greater protections to employees."

Or maybe not. Im sure there is the station fridge diver who steals even marked food. Would serve them right to get a little bit of breast milk.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I just recently went through this. Not sure if you're on a city truck or private, I was on a private service as city backup. The thing is, you have to find your moment. If pumping flows easy for you, it won't take long, but it flowed slow for me, took 30min to get 4oz. So my partner and dispatch were awesome. If I hadn't got a chance to pump and it was coming up on the 4th hour, he'd tech, and take his time doing paperwork so I could pump. If I was getting real sore or engorged and we hadn't caught a break, a quick call to dispatch put us OOS for a bit. I didn't often get the 30min I needed, but if you take some time here and there it works and you don't get sore and you at least get some of your milk pumped. Don't try and fill a bag each time, you can always merge your bags later. They're good for 24 hours in the fridge and 6 months in the freezer. DO NOT wait until the fourth hour like they tell you in order to pump, you can...but there's no guarantee you'll get the time you need, simply take it when you can get it, period. And people will help you out at work, you just have to ask.

• Like 2