Questions about EMT-B in Wisconsin

KSL2786

Yes there are possibilities to work as an ER tech. inside, warm & dry, nurses bitch & bed changer.

However read my above post about the investigations committee. If you don't get licensed to practice " it becomes a moot point!

You may be able to take the class. You may not be able to test. That is a question for your state EMS office and the agency running the educational program. I'm sure they'll be happy to take your money for the class. That doesn't mean they have to let you test, earn and hold a certification.

If you can't even hold a certification because of your DUI then, as IslandEMT mentioned, this entire discussion is simply academic.

I can hold certification and License in the state of Wisconsin with a misdemeanor OWI. Only thing that stops you from that is a felony. My understanding is that getting hired on an ambulance is probably out of the question in the near future. Its really too bad that because someone has made a mistake that employers would immediately disqualify them. If I were an employer, I'd be more concerned about the folks who haven't been caught, because their the ones you have to worry about it happening too after you've already hired them. Just my two cents I guess

You can take your two cents back because you clearly don't understand the seriousness or ramifications of your conviction.

You cannot, in any seriousness, expect an employer to be more concerned about someone with a clean driving record over someone who has plainly demonstrated stupidity and a blatant lack of common sense. Are you seriously arguing that drivers with a clean record should be suspect simply because they haven't been caught? Are you seriously arguing that you deserve more consideration than someone with a clean driving record because you've seen the light, so to speak?

You sound like you're very close to a "I'm the victim here" mentality. That's what I hear in my head as I read that post. If that is, in fact, where you're headed then stop right now because belittling you for the stupidity of being a drunk driver will be the least of your concerns.

• Like 1

KSL: It's not the employers that don't want to take the risk of hiring someone with a DUI. It's their Commercial fleet insurance carriers who will not allow them to have a driver with that on their record.

Many will require a 10 year period of clean, no infractions record, before insuring an individual.

Do some reading up on risk management and actuarial statistics. You will see that the facts show a driver arrested for OUI will be 14 times more likely to reoffend within 5 yrs, than someone who has a clean record.

Thats why you will not be able to get hired.

I'm with mike on the contents of your last post.

OH PITY ME for making a mistake and breaking the law and getting convicted.

Yes a youthful indiscretion will follow you for a long time.

Try getting a CDL [commercial drivers license]::: NOT happening

Try getting a pilots license::: NOT happening

Try getting a railroad engineer's license ::: Not happening.

Are you seeing a pattern here???

There is a reason for laws against drunk driving.

Paramedic Mike you have jumped to some conclusions. I didn't ever say I should be considered a better option. I simply said that just because someone has a clean driving record doesn't necessarily mean they are any better than I am. I know plenty of people who have never been convicted but have done it many times, and continue to do so. I also know people who have been convicted of DUI, and would never consider doing it again.

I never said pity me, or expected sympathy. Sorry for stating a fact. Of course there are repeat DUI offenders but there are also a grip load of people out there with one conviction and they learn there lesson. Someone who's never had the hammer brought down on them will be more likely to continue to engage in the same behavior again and again until something happens.

Of course there are huge statistics for repeat offenders, but that doesn't prove anything other than that they are keeping track of all the dumbest people out there. This would be a much more suitable statistic to research: Out of *ALL DUI convictions* what percentage of them do it again?

The statistics you have given are meaningless rhetoric unless they are compared to something under the same scope of relativity.

All I'm saying is that I could walk into an employer and say with the utmost certainty that I will never drink and drive again in my life. How many other entry level, or even experienced EMT's can POSITIVELY say the same? I'm sure they're out there. I"m just saying... in my personal opinion a one time conviction shouldn't be an automatic disqualification. But in this world everything boils down to what you look like on paper, and money. It is what it is.

Spare me the inaccurate assumptions that I'm looking for sympathy, if you actually knew me as a person you would know how far from the truth that is. I suppose that kind of thing is not always easy to discern in text.

Edited by KSL2786

Paramedic Mike you have jumped to some conclusions. I didn't ever say I should be considered a better option. I simply said that just because someone has a clean driving record doesn't necessarily mean they are any better than I am.

On paper it does. It means they're not a convict and you are.

And your reading comprehension needs some work.

I know plenty of people who have never been convicted but have done it many times, and continue to do so. I also know people who have been convicted of DUI, and would never consider doing it again.

Recheck the numbers IslandEMT posted. And do some of the reading he recommends. I think you'll find it enlightening.

I never said pity me, or expected sympathy. Sorry for stating a fact. Of course there are repeat DUI offenders but there are also a grip load of people out there with one conviction and they learn there lesson. Someone who's never had the hammer brought down on them will be more likely to continue to engage in the same behavior again and again until something happens.

Really? What do you have to back that up?

Of course there are huge statistics for repeat offenders, but that doesn't prove anything other than that they are keeping track of all the dumbest people out there.

Think very carefully about what you've just written here and then think about what you've told us so far. Then think about why you're getting the responses here that you've been getting.

The statistics you have given are meaningless rhetoric unless they are compared to something under the same scope of relativity.

Meaningless rhetoric? How so?

All I'm saying is that I could walk into an employer and say with the utmost certainty that I will never drink and drive again in my life. How many other entry level, or even experienced EMT's can POSITIVELY say the same?

Please refer back to my comments about how anyone who has spent any time in the industry has heard this song and dance before only to get burned.

I'd be willing to bet there are many more prehospital providers who either don't drink or won't get behind the wheel after drinking than you think.

...in my personal opinion a one time conviction shouldn't be an automatic disqualification. But in this world everything boils down to what you look like on paper, and money. It is what it is.

It's not an automatic disqualification. It's a temporary disqualification that'll last anywhere from seven to ten years. So long as you're clean with no infractions on your driving record during that time you might be eligible for hire as an EMS provider at that time.

Well, I'll qualify that a little bit. Some states require a CDL or specific license for operating certain types of emergency vehicles including ambulances. So a DUI might disqualify you permanently. But you brought that on yourself so you can't blame the system there.

Spare me the inaccurate assumptions that I'm looking for sympathy, if you actually knew me as a person you would know how far from the truth that is. I suppose that kind of thing is not always easy to discern in text.

At least one other person thought the same thing I did based on your comments so at that point it comes back to you and how you've chosen to present yourself.

That being said you're right. We don't know you as a person. We know you as a convicted drunk driver. We know you from what you've posted here. What's more, that's all that any employer will ever know of you, too. In this particular case it sucks to be you. Take your punishment like an adult. Adapt and move on.

What makes you think I've not taken it like an adult or moved on? You are jumping to conclusions and making assumptions again.

clearly you think you walk on water, i'd rather not concern myself with your opinion any longer. it never mattered anyway. This is just a stupid blog where I posted to get a little feedback regarding a situation that I'M HANDLING...like an adult.

EMT cert will benefit me in other aspects of my life, my life will not fall apart if I can't find a job on an ambulance due to whatever policies they might have in place.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. At this point I'm also making the decision to MOVE ON.. like an adult, and ignore any future speculation you feel compelled to post on this thread. Shame I can't just delete it all together, but I suppose you and others will have fun continuing to troll on here and talk about me the convicted drunk driver. No face, no name, clearly no morals or integrity, right?. My whole life is summed up in the events of one night.. I wouldn't want to work for anyone who saw things that way, anyhow.

Edited by KSL2786

And just because I want to give you a little glimpse of who I am, other than the convicted drunk driver, I am a whitewater kayaker, and avid outdoor enthusiast. I hold swiftwater rescue and wildland firefighter type II certifications as well as CPR, First Aid and Wilderness First Responder Certs.

I feel like I'm a qualified candidate to consider work in this field, but if the powers that be want to keep me out of it, so be it. I'll be happy to take my skills and services elsewhere to another type of Entity. Maybe I'll find a search and rescue crew to work for out west or something. Work for a private wildland fire contractor, or become multi-day expedition rafting guide somewhere. Hey that sounds like a lot more fun that working on an ambulance anyway! Who knows, nice to have my life ahead of me to figure that all out, meanwhile I'll just keep gaining more credentials and experience along the way.

Edited by KSL2786

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.