Questions about EMT-B in Wisconsin

KSL2786

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first time posting. I have, however, read a lot of these threads and been able to find very helpful answers to some of my questions. I guess with this post I am hoping to get more specific answers as they apply to the state I am in.

Let me start by saying that like everyone I have made mistakes in my life. Just over a year ago I made the terrible decision to drive home after a night out with friends. I was pulled over for going over the speed limit and admitted to drinking. I was over the legal limit and was arrested for OWI. I accept full responsibility for my actions and feel terrible about what I did. Since this occurred I have taken significant steps to make changes in my life. I received treatment, I no longer drink and have changed my life for the better. As awful of a situation as it was, in the end it has made some positive changes in my life.

I am enrolled to start EMT-B starting tomorrow at my local tech college. My interest in this field begins a long time ago and mostly involves firefighting. I have spent time working as an on-call wildland firefighter in Montana and one day hope to return to fighting wildfires. However, as I have moved back to Wisconsin to be near family I have opened my mind to other possible career choices. I am taking EMT-B as part of the Fire Service Protection Cert, but I have found that I would really be interested in Paramedic training. Problem is, with my OWI, I"m not sure that I'll be able to even get into a Paramedic School.

Since getting that OWI my life has done a complete 180 and I am very proud of the things I have done so please, don't belittle me for mistakes I've made in the past (I've seen a lot of that on here regarding this type of situation) but rather please accept me for the person I have become, the changes I've made and the passion I have for this field.

So, to break it down I guess I am wondering if Paramedic training is at all a possibility for me in a year or two (keep in mind if its different state by state, I would be willing to relocate) and also what kinds of things I can do in Wisconsin with an EMT-B or EMT-Intermediate. I am interested in working in an ER doing triage as well, if thats a possibility.

Thanks in advance for your time.

What is an OWI? Here in Tx we have a DWI which I'm assuming is the equivalent....just wondering what the O stands for.

I can't speak for your state, I would recommend contacting your state liscensing agency for exact answers. Here in Tx the problem you would encounter would be driving. There are not a lot of places that would insure you. That being said, you could find a tech job in an ER and there are a few private places who would hire you as a paramedic that didn't drive.

Most states require a full criminal background check prior to being licensed as a prehospital provider. My state has a background check and it is re-done every three years at license renewal.

There are some such as New Joisey that don't and apparently thats a system with many criminals involved judging by the press reports.

The only sure answer is going to come from the wisconsin state EMS office.

As you have read in other posts, an OUI/DWI will make you uninsurable for most ambulance services as a driver for a period of 5-10 years. It's just the way insurance carriers are, can't fight the system.

Hey thanks for the reply. Do you know if it is at least relatively common for people who have achieved proper certification and licensure to be hired on an Ambulance and not drive? I realize that obviously they'd probably rather have people who can do both, but I can't imagine I am the first person to run into this issue. I just really hope to get a job as an emergency care provider!

ok, first things first.

Call your state licensing bureau and ask them. They will tell you what you need to know.

Then do this, call a couple ambulance services in your area and just ask them whether someone who has a DWI on their record has any chance working at their service as a EMT or a medic.

You will get a pretty good idea what kind of chance you have in terms of getting a job in your area with that stain on your record.

Everyone makes mistakes, even the great Captaintohellwithitall has made mistakes so have hope grasshopper.

But do not be surprised if the answers you seek are not the answers you want.

Good luck.

Do you have a fallback?

Do you know if it is at least relatively common for people who have achieved proper certification and licensure to be hired on an Ambulance and not drive?

Not in any state in which I've lived or worked is this a possibility. If you can't drive, regardless of your training level, you're worthless to the employer. People here have said there are some places that will hire someone that can't drive but I've never encountered that in my career. Ever.

I realize that obviously they'd probably rather have people who can do both, but I can't imagine I am the first person to run into this issue.

You're right. You aren't the first person. Every EMS provider I've known who has gotten a DUI has lost his/her job as an EMS provider. They didn't necessarily lose their certification/license. They were just fired from their job and were unhireable until the DUI was clear of their driving record or until the insurance company's rates to insure him/her were something the employer was willing to pay (which worked out to be as soon as the DUI disappeared from the driving record).

In essense this is a forced career change.

I just really hope to get a job as an emergency care provider!

It may happen long term. The tough spot you're in is proving that you really have turned your life around. A DUI on your record is going to show up for years. It's going to raise a lot of questions. It will immediately raise suspicions about you. You're going to have to work at least twice as hard as the next candidate for a longer amount of time to prove yourself with that on your record.

Another thing to consider, too, and I'm not sure you have any way of knowing this, is that anyone who has spent any time in EMS and has dealt with people who are either currently drunk, alcoholics, or DUIs picked up at any point, have heard over and over again, "I've changed my life. I've been to treatment. I've done a 180. This will *never* happen again." only to have it happen again. So not only will you be working to over come the appropriate negative stigma of a DUI on your record but you'll also be fighting to overcome the bias created by getting burned by so many others out there who are in the same position you're in, who've said the same things you've said here, only to have it turn out to be a big lie.

I'm not saying you're lying. I'm not even saying this to belittle you for what you acknolwedge to be a remarkably moronically stupid decision. I'm just offering another perspective of what you're up against.

If Wisconsin and the program you want to attend are ok with your DUI they'll probably let you take the class. Getting hired will not be so easy for at least the duration of the DUI on your record. Develop a fall back plan and go with that.

In Maine a dwi might be cause for the state to not grant a license to practice.

Each application that has a yes answer to any of the criminal conviction questions on the licensing application is sent to a review committee which includes a deputy attny general . They have the ability to grant or deny a license after they review & investigate the individuals record. Other states have the same type of system.

As far as getting hired in a back seat tech only: There might be a service somewhere that will hire a non driver. I've never known of one in 4 decades of practice, unless it was in an industrial setting such as a camp or factory.

I appreciate all the feedback. One thing no one has really touched on is the possibility of working in an ER. It seems to be all gloom and doom when it comes to the chances of me working on an ambulance, which is too bad.

I guess the ER would be my fallback. If none of the above work, I really don't know. I thought I had really figured it out with this one but because of a stupid decision I made back in my hayday it might not work out. I know I have to work twice as hard to prove myself and I'm prepared to do so.

Also, is it different for volunteer EMT at all? In Wisconsin I am surrounded by tons of small, backwoods communities.

Edited by KSL2786

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.