thinking about becoming and FDNY EMT

ndtyank49

Hello,

This upcoming year i will be going to communtiy college as a freshman and have been thinking about what I would want to become. With the way the economy is i'm thinking that getting my certifications and trying to get onto the FDNY EMS would be a decent job. The goal would be to eventually take the promotion to fire fighter.

Would someone on the job be able to explain all the ins and outs of being an EMT? As far as getting all the certifications, getting on the list, and what the work is like in the field, and the job overall?

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

Congratulations on continuing your education! For those of us that love EMS it is not only an adventure but an entire lifestyle. I think EMS is a great choice for anyone that is interested in direct contact with the community in a professional, and caring platform.

I am not from NYC but I can try to help. We answer these kinds of questions all the time only to see the original poster get the answer they want or don't want and never come back. I am beginning to feel a little used. You know, kinda like a one night stand kinda used. I am not implying this is your intention but then again I have no way of knowing, right?

I would like to propose a swap. I will try to provide info and others will probably help as well but you have to come back and continue participating in the forums as a student.

What do you think? Deal?

Welcome Raindancer!

We will have to let some of our NYFD gus fill in the blanks but the first step is to find a good EMT-B program to study in. EMT-B is not too difficult but does require that you familiarize yourself with a lot of mew terminology if you are new to EMS Once you are in the program they will have most of the information you will need to carry on. After you pass your written and practical examinations you will register for the NREMT test. I recommend you go ahead and open an account with NREMT as soon as you start your Basic training so your school has a place to send your approval when the time comes. O would not recommend paying for the test until you pass your EMT-B just in case something were to happen that would keep you from completing the course. I think I payed 70.00 usd last year to take this test.

Once you are in school pay a lot of attention to your skill sheets. The NREMT test relies strongly on the procedural steps of the skill sheets. I am gonna go out on a limb and add another suggestion that I have been thinking about. Many EMT-B grads wait until it is time to take the NREMT test and begin to look at one of the websites that help prep for the test. I think it is a good idea to register early to one of these sites so you can begin to prep as you go through your class.

We are going to have to get some of our NYC buddies to tell you about the licensing procedure for NY and answer the rest of your questions. I am pretty sure that some of them will be on shortly.

I am a EMTP student and have found this forum to be extremely resourceful in expanding my education and helping me clarify ideas that I have trouble comprehending. Most here truly love EMS and are secretly excited to see new guys entering the profession.

Edited by DFIB

Hello,

Welcome!

This upcoming year i will be going to communtiy college as a freshman and have been thinking about what I would want to become. With the way the economy is i'm thinking that getting my certifications and trying to get onto the FDNY EMS would be a decent job. The goal would be to eventually take the promotion to fire fighter.

Good on you for continuing your education. It's a smart move in many ways.

I understand you're doing research on the profession and will address those questions momentarily. Bear with me for a minute.

Are you looking for a job? Or are you looking for a career? Are you looking for a municipal job simply because you think there's some stability with being a City employee? Or are you looking for a career that you'll love from the day you'll start to the day you retire?

Are you interested in being an EMS provider? Or are you interested in being a firefighter? Why? Do you think it's acceptable to exploit one position and the responsibilities that come with it to completely disregard them once your goal is reached? (Read that as: "Does the end point justify the means you took to get there?")

These questions are mostly rhetorical designed to get you to think and are not meant to be antagonistic or confrontational. You're at a unique point in your life where you can figure out a lot of these questions, set a goal and work towards it. You're also at a unique point in that should one option not work out you can move to something else.

All this being said, if you decide you want to be a firefighter go be a firefighter. If you want to be an EMS provider be an EMS provider. While some places combine the services, they really are two separate professions and need to be approached as such.

Would someone on the job be able to explain all the ins and outs of being an EMT? As far as getting all the certifications, getting on the list, and what the work is like in the field, and the job overall?

Thank you very much.

There's a couple guys here with experience in NYC. I'm sure they'll be by to fill you in on specifics as they'd relate to you. I'm sure, however, that the FDNY website has much of the practical information as far as applying, hiring list and certifications obtained during training.

Working in EMS is not as glamourous as many might think. It's hot and dirty in the summer. It's cold and dirty in the winter. You'll meet some really nice people. You'll meet some really not-so-nice people. You may meet a lot of those people on one of the worst days of their life. It's a mix of diplomacy, critical thinking and improvisation. It can be hours of boredom. It can be hours of terror. It can be both of those in the same day. It can be one or the other for days on end. It can elate you and depress you. It can consume your life if you're not careful (and you really want to be careful about that).

It is NOT about lights, sirens or skills.

Take a look through the discussions here. There you'll see a pretty good mix of what the day to day life of EMS can entail. You'll also see some of the good, the bad and the ugly of the profession.

Ask more questions as you think of them. You know where to find us.

1) FDNY EMS is usually an 8 hour a day assignment, from training to field posting. Due to next crew personnel calling in sick, or Borough Chiefs deciding, in inclement weather, or citywide disaster situations, to put on additional units, expect overtime (per both Riley's Rules of EMS, and Murphy's Law, whenever you get "Mandated" for overtime, it will be at a time most unwanted by you, but if you want overtime, none will be available). Overtime will be a minimum of 6 hours.

2) Initially, you will be placed in the system at whatever area they need you, at whatever tour they need you. It's called "Needs Of The Service". After you get some seniority, possibility exists that you can transfer to a different station and/or tour.

3) If you're a student, see rule 1. Best explore on-line classes taken at your convenience.

4) FDNY EMS is a full time job, no part time work available.

In disclosure, I'm a 38 year experience EMT-B, medically retired at 25 years from FDNY EMS, and pre-FDNY/EMS merger with the former NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS, but who's state certification is good until 2015.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.