Need Opinions

So for my first semester of my Paramedic course it was myself and one other student, and due to family issues, he dropped 2 weeks before the end of the semester. So in turn, the program director offered me to continue with a online format of class or take a semester off and pick up with the next class. I dont want to break my classes up simply because i want to stay fresh on everything and come out of this with not only a degree but also being a quality medic, So if you were faced with this, what would you guys choose?

i know what i want to do i guess what i was getting at is trying to see if anyone has ever done online formatted pmedic classes and if they are as beneficial and worthwhile as actual classes

Sorry mike my initial statement was typed when i was busy and i didn't really proof read it before i posted it, but as far the online course goes it would be my 2nd semester of my Paramedic course which consists of interpreting EKG's, drug calculations, and i believe focuses on medical emergencies instead of trauma which is P3

That's decidedly different from what you initially asked.

What classes would be online?

Looks to me to be nearly exactly what he asked...

I wouldn't accept the online courses, though I'm afraid that I don't have an intelligent opinion on whether or not that they are good enough or not.

I just learn better in a class, from the questions of the other students, from the group discussions and interactions.

Particularly with the classes that you mention. I found my introduction into cardiology to be really, really hard. It's hard for me to imagine you being able to manage your way through it, and REALLY get it if you have to sort through it mostly on your own.

As I said, I wouldn't accept the online courses, but I'll never again take another online course if I can avoid it. But that's my personal bias.

I'd be interested to know what you decide, and how you come to feel about your decision after you've had a bit of time to live with it and understand it.

Good questions man....

• Like 1

i know what i want to do i guess what i was getting at is trying to see if anyone has ever done online formatted pmedic classes and if they are as beneficial and worthwhile as actual classes

I've taken on-line / distance and traditional university classes. I've also worked with people who've taken paramedic programs where the majority of the course delivery was on-line.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to take paramedicine on-line, if I had the option for classroom education. I think some of the most valuable moments in paramedic school were when one of the instructors went off on a tangent about an atypical presentation they saw, or a time they made a mistake, or some of the common prehospital pitfalls in a given situation.

There's also a danger when you do self-directed learning that you go off on a tangent learning about something really interesting, like the pharmacology of opiate metabolites, that might have some small application to prehospital care, but might represent time better spent focusing in a different area.

If you have a decent program, getting to run scenarios and play with equipment and simulators on a regular, near-daily basis is also really valuable, and hard to reproduce in a distance format when you may only meet up with classmates once very couple of months for a week or two.

I wouldn't say "Don't do it", if it's the only option, just that I wouldn't choose to do it as a first choice. I felt that many of the medics I worked with who had done a distance delivery course were underprepared when they first hit the road, but that the gap narrowed over a few years once everyone had a base of experience.

• Like 1

I was really blessed to go to a program that was largely taught, (pharm/cardiology, etc), by a retired 25yr ER doc. Truly one of the most amazing intelligent people that I've ever met.

Cardiology sticks out in my mind as it was common that she would say, "That's a good question, and I promise that I'm going to address it, but I need you to trust me for a little bit when I tell you that that is a bad direction to take at this stage, ok?" And of course it was always ok and after quickly learning that she didn't mean, "I don't know so let's pretend we'll get to it later" but instead exactly what she said, it made my education so much more power and efficient, in my opinion.

As Sys said, I'm not meaning to say not to do it, but I do believe that you'll see differences in yourself when compared to brick and mortar students in the future. But again as Sys said, if you're committed, some decent experience can eliminate most of that in pretty short order.

for me here's how I look at online versus in class

online - I must be more diligent in carving out time in my day to spend in front of the computer.

classes - I am more focused in class than in front of the computer

I am more apt to learn more in a classroom setting rather than a online setting not saying I cannot do it, I got my masters degree online (1/2 of the 15 classes were online) but it was tough being focused for the online classes.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll