Pre-Employment Test Out of Scope?

So today I submitted my resume', NR card, and application for a well known company in Detroit, MI. As I was taking the pre-employment test I had my fair share of Paramedic and AEMT questions. I was taking back by them, lol. Never seen some of the stuff before in EMT class. But they grade the test on a curve so I guess all should be well.

Do you feel that it gives the applier a fair chance if they are a EMT and doing Paramedic questions?

How are the pre-employment test where you are located?

Fair? Maybe, maybe not. But the employer sets the standards, and I won't knock a service for expecting more than the minimum.

The pre-employment tests and the training at my service when I went through it sucked. Like, hardcore sucked. It essentially consisted of some papers explaining navigation and charting, driving around a parking lot (no real driving training on the streets), half an hour messing around with a stretcher and stairchair, and three days of ridealongs before I was thrown onto the streets. I got hired on as an EMT and never had to take the paramedic test after I got certified.

We're revamping our hiring and on boarding process and implementing a formal FTO program, and even now they've made some changes that have drastically improved the orientation process, but for me and everyone that came before me, it was pretty much learn as you go. Along with the fact that we don't recognize prior EMS work or advanced education here, it's made for a system that pretty much demanded nothing more a "pulse and a patch"--which hopefully is on its way out.

Yeah, I hear you. I am not knocking the standards that the employer has set, some questions just threw me for a loop. It was just "scary" so to speak for a newly registered EMT who hasn't seen too much Paramedic info.

But I would hope to God that they would want more than the minimum, it would make me feel better knowing that the company actually cares who they hire out to provide pt care.

maybe they gave you the wrong test

They did not have any test in the area where they were supposed to be, they had to print off the test for me for the cpu, lol. That would suck. Oh well, I pray I receive a call this week or next.

Maybe they want to know how much you know. Having knowledge beyond your scope of practice speaks to your self motivation, character and desire to learn more even if it is outside your scope.

If you know more you will pull ahead of the herd that only know what they learned in school.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.