What is a good thing to do while waiting for license?

I passed my NREMT on Friday and I have to send out for my state license (which will probably be tomorrow since banks are closed) what is something that you guys think I should be doing, or that you all did after passing NR. Should I stay fresh on my skills?

I have no clue what the interview process is like, any one care to put some insight as to what it may be like.

My advice would be to put together a really nice resume. If you intend to go with a private service you should probably review everything to do with diabetic patients because most private services, at least near me, focus questions during the interview regarding patients with diabetic emergencies, both hyper and hypoglycemia, things of that nature. We seem to have more calls for diabetic emergencies than anything else, though that's anecdotal since I don't have the numbers. It's a common belief anyway:) If you plan on going into a fire service you'll be better off listening to one of the long time FF's that frequent this lovely site.

More than anything else though, my advice would be this. Do not lose hope. It took me months to find a job in EMS after I got my cert. Some people can manage it quicker than others, particularly if you know some people in the field. Even if it takes you awhile, you will find a job. Might not be a well paying job, might not have the best conditions. But if you're lucky you'll wake up every day glad to be going in. I didn't start in this field til I was in my thirties. This is the first job I've ever had, EVER, in which I go to work with a smile on my face. I love it. Working at something I don't hate is a novelty to me, first time in 15 years. If you found this field at a young age, and you decide you enjoy it, don't take that enjoyment for granted. We spend a lot of time working, doing so at a job we love is a better benefit than any insurance or vacation plan. Congrats on passing your NREMT, and good luck.

If I were you I'd apply here:

snobulance.jpg

But not here.....

ambodoom.jpg

edit for pics:)

Edited by BillKaneEMT

My thing would be what would my resume consist of when I have only worked construction and warehousing jobs in the past with no significance of EMS. Any ideas?

I have a two family members who are EMTs we are located in Detroit, Michigan and they both work for a pretty big hospital (DMC) here so I know once I get my license I will try to get into where they are.

I am just excited to start, hope I do not have to wait more than 2 weeks for my state license to come in the mail once I send it off. I think I may still do some practice test in the mean time and read over the diabetic chapter a little bit more because when I did my ambulance ride along I remember we ran about 5 calls and 3 were diabetic emergencies.

Thanks for your input.

I'd take the first picture please!!! ha

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.