Just started at a new service, minor gripes. Documentation.

I had written a novel about this and I just deleted it in favor of brevity.

I just started at a new service after being at my last one for 10 years or so. I've been a paramedic since 1997.

The first crew they stuck me with for my "evaluation" consists of an EMT (she's awesome), and, obviously, a paramedic. Now, don't get me wrong, he seems like a pretty decent guy, as well. But he also seems a little...cocky. I'm still getting to know people, so I admit that maybe I'm way off base, here.

Now, I can't say when this guy finished school, but I can say that his EMT number is about 8,000 or so people newer than mine, so it's probably safe to say I've been doing this longer than he has. I'm also aware that to insinuate that this automatically makes me a better medic than he would be to commit a logical fallacy, and that's not what I'm trying to say, to be clear.

But, anyway, we go on a couple of calls, we get back to the station, I'm doing paperwork and trying to get the ins and outs of their computer system. I take the laptop into dispatch, where he's sitting, with about 7 other people, to ask some questions, mainly about the documentation system.

So, he starts reading my narrative, adopts what sounds to my ears like a kind of haughty tone of voice, and says that "everything looks pretty good" but that I need to "avoid using the word 'denies' because this means that a patient has a finding, like a broken finger, but they won't admit to it. They 'deny' having a broken finger. Also, you have a lot of misspelled words."

Ok. I'm the new guy. I bit down on my tongue, said, "ah, okay", took back the computer, and went back to the lounge.

That crawled all over me. Is that wrong, on my part?

First, I'm completely anal when it comes to spelling, especially in my documentation. I went back and checked and there were no misspelled words. Secondly, I understand what he's saying about the word "deny", or "denies." I do. But I'm also quite certain that "to reply in the negative" is a common and accepted definition of the word. I've been using it in my documentation since 1997 (pt denies Cx pain; pt denies dyspnea, etc.) w/out issue.

So, that's it, basically. I wrote all of this to ask what you think of the word "denies" in documentation. And, I guess, if it makes me petty that this persons behavior bothered me.

If you think this is bad, you should have seen the first novel I wrote.

He's being petty, probably because he sees you as a new pup on his alpha dog territory. Personally, I don't use "deny" in favour of "no indication of" or "does not complain of"

He is your Training Officer, it's his job to show you how to conform to the company line. Next time he tells you there are spelling errors, ask him, in front of everyone there if you would be kind enough to show him the errors and provide the correct spelling. My philosophy is that I will do as I'm told whilst being evaluated...then do it the right way once no one is looking over my shoulder.

With my company, spelling errors are not an issue at all, they happen and will continue to happen and are only pointed out if they are exceptionally confusing. Appropriate and proper documentation is the priority. To promote this everyone starts out with a set Christmas bonus amount, then, every time they make an error on their call report they have a dollar value deducted from the bonus amount. In this way they are given a subjective performance indicator based on their desire to improve...not my desire for them to improve.

For example, one starts the year with a $1000.00 bonus, but makes 30 errors which are deducted at a rate of $10.00 per error. Christmas bonus is now $700.00.

Edited by Arctickat

You are the "new Guy " in this company. No matter what your experience level is, you are a probie there and the FTO wants to make sure you know he's the top dog, even with a lot less time in grade than you.

Bite your tongue , BUT document all these episodes in a journal. Then when you are no longer on double secret probation, you can show it to the supervisor if it continues.

I agree with Kat about the spelling, if he continues to point out your errors ask him for help in writing your reports better. Then let him show you how to speellll correctly. :-}

Island speaks truth.

You are the bottom of the bottom feeders right now. Don't rock the boat or as per Han Solo "you might bounce to close to a supernova, and that would end your trip real quick"

Bide your time, bite your tongue. Remember that nothing lasts forever and being a probie doesn't either. Wait till you get off your probation and then you can start complaining at the company publicly.

Hopefully no-one on this forum works at your company and is smart enough to put two and two together from your post. It could happen from your cryptic post, maybe not though.

also remember not to treat your future evaluee like you are being treated.

But what you have to do is just grin and bear it but if it gets too out of hand and the guy is too much of an Asshat then go to his supervisor but don't do it until you have things documented in a journal. Dates and times are key as is witnesses.

But remember this(I speak from experience on this one) when you do this, you will probably burn any support that you have at that agency you have. You will be deemed the one who is classified as the "tattler" or Asshole.

just my two cents

Everybody seems to be thinking the same thing that I am. Biting my tongue and biding my time until I've developed some relationships in the company and if need be I can deal with it then. In all honesty, though, as I said, he usually comes off as a pretty good guy and he does seem to be a good medic, so I expect it's largely just taking my lumps as the new guy and it will eventually all work itself out.

I'll echoe chbare's post and add that I too use "denies" to indicate that I have ruled out pertinent negatives (patient complains of dyspnea but DENIES any chest pain, productive cough; abdominal pain in a pregnant female who DENIES any associated vaginal bleeding; etc).

Hang in there, man, and just do what you got to to get through this rough period.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.