Did anyone else take the NYS EMT-B written exam on May 17th?

Hey --

I was wondering if anyone else on here took the NYS written exam for EMT-B on May 17th? I did and i'm really nervous because I was trying to remember a few of the questions after I got home late that night and already I know of three I got wrong.

Which questions did you have trouble with / weren't sure about?

There was a questions about what right of way the ambulance does not have, and my instructor told us weeks earlier that the ambulance cannot drive the wrong way down a one-way street, but that wasn't the answer. Apparently an ambulance does not have an absolute right of way.

Also I believe it was on the second page, there was a question about your partner taking a blood pressure reading and whether or not you should question his reading based upon the heart rate that was given and other things. At first I put that you should accept it, and then I read over it again and said to question the BP reading because I noticed that his heart rate was "strong" so he wasn't in shock because his heart rate should be weak. But honestly I wasn't entirely sure.

What questions do you remember and want to discuss?

Welcome, nysemtb. I took my Basic test in April, it sounds like you took a written one. Mine was a computerized exam at a Pearson Vue testing lab (that had a very nasty algorythym constantly figuring out--accurately--what I knew and didn't know). What sucked was I never got my final score, or a breakdown of how I did in the five major areas. NREMT doesn't give out scores anymore.

I've never felt that thrashing over exam questions was particularly helpful. When I took the online exam I signed off on an acknowledgement not to discuss any part of the exam.

If you hammered the book hard and worked on asessment you likely did just fine.

• Like 1

I know a few EMT's that recerted this year and they were saying that this years EMT test was by far the hardest they have ever taken. They said it was asking questions about blood sugar and such...which was kind of strange to me because EMT's in NY cant ( well arent supposed to) check a blood glucose.

The state has changed the test question pool and is requiring EMT's to know more...which isnt a bad thing really but in practice is giving them problems in testing.

I'm sure you did fine :)

A Pox On This Place (IP: 50.137.198.175)

EMT City Rookie

• photo-thumb-41236.jpg?_r=1338140184
  • EMT City Sponsor
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 9 posts

(Rating) 3

I can't tell you how cool I think this is. 9 posts and a sponsor.

Not THAT'S the best of what we do. Giving back when we can...

Thanks for that Pox. (What kind of a nickname is Pox? Though I like it somehow!) (Not questioning where it came from as I read your post, just how funny it is shortened as we're wont to do.)

And for the record, I don't make a penny from here, get very few special privileges, so it's not a thanks for me financially, but instead for helping to support what has been an essential resource educationally as well as the source of many new and lifelong friends for me.

Cool as hell..

• Like 1

Aw shucks, Dwayne. A Pox On This Place is a nickname I was given on a Green Bay Packers board a few years back.

I think it was--mostly--meant in jest. It amused me at any rate. I'm kinda in transition now, about to wind down my county career and looking forward to working as a volly with a podunk backwoods ambulance service in Wisconsin. I've largely been a stalker on this site, I want to continue my lifelong learning process and this is a damn fine place for that. I'd encourage everyone to support the City to the extent they can.

Besides, where else can you find an overeducated hilarious yahoo like Kiwi? :shifty:

Edited by A Pox On This Place

I took the same test. And I agree... I already know of a few I got wrong :( (but many many more I got right). If statistics takes the stage, I passed since my teacher says the class average is usually around an 84, and I usually score dead average. (No idea why, but that's usually how it works). In all honesty, at this point I'll be happy if I pass, no matter what the score. I'm trying not to get myself so worked up over if I passed or not. I've got way more important things to worry about.

I applied for on-site scoring in Rochester a week after class started (last week of January). They said it was full. I should've also opted for Schenectady, but I didn't, and I bet it was already full as well. At this point, I'd even drive to Albany to pick up the results instead of waiting for them to process and prepare the mailing! (Might seem a little over the top, but the 2.5 hour drive would be worth it to me.)

As far as the right of way question goes, put that in the few I got wrong :wacko: The BP question, I put to double check. I based this on experience from ride time. We had a patient who showed a relatively high BP on the heart monitor (sys ~180). He had me check it manually a couple more times to be sure. And it was indeed high. When it came to scenarios, I based it on whatever came first in the general approach protocol. Everyone I talked to that had taken the test before told me PROTOCOL, PROTOCOL, and more PROTOCOLs for the test. And that's what I studied, along with bits and pieces from the book that wasn't covered in the protocol book.

I guess at this point, we can just wait. The good news is I read about someone who took the March 15 2012 test, and got his results in 3 weeks. (he passed.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.