"You're too smart for EMS"

Hello all,

I have been absent here for a while, but I was hoping people here could help me out. I am currently in paramedic school, finishing in August, and working as an EMT. I love the program, and am doing fairly well. I feel very passionate about EMS, while I might not like my job (my company, ect.) I love the work I do. Recently during clinicals, from doctors, and from lab instructors in school, I have been hearing "you're too smart for EMS", or "What do you plan to go on to?" How should I respond to these people? On one hand, it is an amazing compliment they are giving, but at the same time, why do I have to "go on" from EMS? Why is it looked upon as though if you are smart (good at book learning) you cannot stay as "just" a paramedic? The only way for our field to advance is if people stay in it, and work to advance it internally, not just use EMS as a stepping stone to another career.

• Like 1

The answer is simple - in US EMS is not a "health profession" ala medicine, nursing, physiotherapy, med lab science, dentistry, optometry etc; it is a semi professional trade that likes to think it is a profession but is unwilling to make the hard decisions required to advance it to the same level of other health professions which would ensure that people with high levels of knowledge and skill stay in the workforce and end this business of "stepping up" to something else e.g. Nursing.

It breaks my heart, it does, it's honestly reduced me to tears.

"Wow! Thank you for the compliment. Right now, I'm planning to explore my options in EMS and see where life takes me. You never know what's around the corner."

It's true, you know. You never know what's around the corner.

Why is it looked upon as though if you are smart (good at book learning) you cannot stay as "just" a paramedic?

Look at your coworkers, and most EMS-ers in general, and you will find your answer. When you're in an industry that requires little more than a high school diploma and less training than a barber to enter, smart people stand out. When smart people stand out there comes an expectation that there be some ambition to "live up to your potential" so to speak.

Just a question, and something to think about, why do you want to stay "just a paramedic"? Is there not the possibility that at some point you'll want to move up the provider ladder? RN? PA? MD/DO? Experiences and exposures can change your focus and your way of thinking.

This isn't to say that a long career as a paramedic is a bad thing. It's not. It's just something to think about.

The only way for our field to advance is if people stay in it, and work to advance it internally, not just use EMS as a stepping stone to another career.

There's a lot of truth in what you're saying. There's also a lot of potential in the idea that those who've worked in EMS and progressed to higher levels (RN, PA, MD/DO) can also be ones to help advance the profession. They'll be the people who have worked the streets. They'll be the people who will know first hand what EMS crews go through. They'll be the people who will be taken seriously because they have the formal education, advanced degree and license when it comes time to advocating for EMS as an industry.

Yes. People who get into EMS with the expressed intent of using it as a stepping stone to something else are annoying (at best). It can be argued that these aren't necessarily the people we should be worried about. It can also be argued that there is nothing wrong with learning from one's experiences and deciding to take that knowledge and experience and advance one's education and responsibility.

• Like 1

Practice does change ones perception; I've gone to the GP clinic to pick people up and have basically had to put both arms through the straps of the Thomas Pack so I wasn't unbalanced lugging 20kg's of Thomas Pack while hurling garlic and reciting from the Bible to ensure the evil spirits of the "boring" primary care practice didn't corrupt me. Having actually had some exposure and experience in primary care I'm rather attracted to working at the "boring GP clinic where nothing exciting ever happens!" ... it's all about perception vs. reality

Oh on a slightly related topic it's annoying that people spout how "useful" their EMS experience will be in another health profession it's honestly not that useful and not a pre-requisite for doing e.g. Nursing or Medicine and will probably hinder you more than anything.

I'd choose your educational paths carefully. I know people I went to high school with who graduated from top universities who are working bagging groceries or working at Starbucks. In that context staying in EMS sometimes may be the most intelligent thing to do.

Nursing is somewhat of a mess in the United States (dependant upon the area, no doubt) and perhaps not the best example. Unfortunately, many programmes appear to be struggling to meet the educational needs of students. In my area of the country, clinical time has been slashed and many students struggle as colleges struggle to find qualified instructors and compete for clinical time with other allied health programmes.

Asys brings up a potentially important point. There are many people with undergrad and graduate degrees who are unemployed and underemployed. However, looking at the general trends, people with degrees appear to do better on the whole.

• Like 1

Nursing is somewhat of a mess in the United States (dependant upon the area, no doubt) and perhaps not the best example. Unfortunately, many programmes appear to be struggling to meet the educational needs of students. In my area of the country, clinical time has been slashed and many students struggle as colleges struggle to find qualified instructors and compete for clinical time with other allied health programmes.

I appreciate you can only speak for the state(s) you have experience in but do the state boards or National Council of SBON not having a mandated minimum requirement for clinical hours? In NZ it's 1,100 minimum the same as Paramedic (ILS); midwifery has a crazy insane req of 2,100 hours!

I'd choose your educational paths carefully. I know people I went to high school with who graduated from top universities who are working bagging groceries or working at Starbucks. In that context staying in EMS sometimes may be the most intelligent thing to do.

but what did they graduate as? the good thing about health professionals is that once you graduate finding work is pretty easy; out of ~500 first year doctors last year only 2 did not find a job and most graduate nurses are employed straight away into a transition program (around 90% in 2011); as for midwives, dentists, physios etc they can set up private shop straight away

Edited by Kiwiology

That's not how it works in the United States. Certain states may have specific quantative benchmarks; however, many of the national accrediting agencies are less worried about actual clock hours and more worried about processes, systems, outcomes and overall Programme structure. This not only applies to nursing accreditation (NLNAC) but other allied programmes such as respiratory therapy (CoARC). Feel free to look up the sites and download their materials.

Edited by chbare

@ faking... The real question is what do you like to do? Pretty much anyone who moderately intelligent and studies hard can do anything they want. I would be inclined to think that it isn't that any of us are "to smart for EMS" but that the people that we are being compared to are just not that motivated in their clinical trials. I have heard similar statements but understand that it is not that i am smarter than others, simply that many of the other students are just not motivated to learn anything extra. I have spent a lifetime doing other things but have found that I like EMS. So paramedic school is the obvious step for me.

Find what you like and go for it.

• Like 2

Many medical professionals, especially the old school docs & nurses, look at EMS providers as service personnel.

Doesn't matter how good you are at your chosen profession. Those that stand out are often viewed as spending time as a Paramedic while earning enough to go up to the next level. Whether it is as an RN or PA or medical school. EMS has been looked upon as either a dead end job with little hope of earning good money & benefits , Or as a stepping stone to become a true "medical professional".

If you are happy doing what you do, then let it be your profession. Don't ever fail to be the best you can & always have folks know you as an example of a high quality professional caregiver..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.