Just over a month away: Prometheus

chbare

Richard, take a look at my prior posts. It is not a proper prequel, but it takes place in the same universe and the events occur prior to the 1979 Alien movie. However, Scott has stated on several occasions that this is a stand alone story that ties in to the Alien movie and shares a bit of the Alien "DNA." In any event, I am excited and my nerd juices are flowing.

• 4 weeks later...

****** SPOILER ********

I think that it falls closer to a prequel than a different story line in the same universe......., Its pretty obvious that the ship the Prometheus finds is the same ship that is a "derelict wreck" on LV-426 in Alien and Aliens . I am thinking that we will get a glimpse at the origin of the Alien species as well as some new horrors for all mankind.

Edited by croaker260

Actually, it looks like a different body alltogether. Per a couple of press conferences with Scott, it is not the same planet and in fact, not a planet at all but rather a moon of a planet where the Prometheus lands.

Initial reviews from Europe where Prometheus just opened appear rather positive and it has a Rottentomatoes tomatometre reading of over 80% with the critics sampled. The common statements I find are overwhelming positive reviews of the outstanding scenery, special effects, score and an incredible performance from Fassbender as the anderoid. However, there appear to be some complaints about a few plot holes and some people are saying the script is not as solid as anticipated.

In any event, I plan to see it on the 8th when it hits theatres in the United States.

The one question I'll have will depend on whether or not the crew of the Prometheus have to travel in Stasis. Since the Nostromo crew had to travel in stasis pods while in transit, it would ruin the whole movie if the Prometheus crew, being earlier than the Nostromo crew, did not.

There is a shot of the anderoid "waking" people up from stasis pods in one of the trailers so I think it's safe to say that continuity will remain intact with the overall alien universe.

That's good, because I was sore disappointed when NCIS-Los Angeles and Hawaii 5-0 had that crossover and blew continuity right out of the water there.

Edited by Arctickat

My husband's all excited for this one, me, not so much. I'm kind of over the alien horror/apocalyptica kind of genre right now...

I'd rather read another good scifi book, personally. Now, a movie I'm excited for? When they film Robopocalypse. That book was AMAZING.

Wendy

CO RN-ADN Student