Documented standards for EMS standby staffing?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone really know of any documented standards for EMS standbys for events? Meaning number of medics per attendance level, etc.? And this includes with and without an ambulance.

TDH here in Texas does not govern EMS standbys as for as licenses / standards unless there is a licensed transport ambulance being used so they have no clue. The folks I talked to in Arlington have no knowledge of any guidelines for standbys without an ambulance since they have no juridiction.

I have also looked for information in fire service material as well as ISO outlets. No one seems to know.

I find that odd. LOL

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

What is your standard for your staffing for your city? I would think 1 ambulance for every X number of people and X number of first responders per X number of people.

I think there are like 60 ambulances for KC MO and they have 500+ thousand people.

there are 10 ambulances for independence and there are 110K people. Those are ball park figures from a ex employee.

For a county of around 24K there are 3 ambulances on duty so that's 1 per 8k

So those are average numbers.

Sorry can't give you actual numbers becuase numbers will absolutely massively vary.

I think there are more than 875 ambulances in the city of new york and using 7 million people as a rough number population wise I'm sure there are more than 875 ambulances on duty (not always available) in New York at a given time.

I am unaware of any written standard and have been working EMS standby events for 8 years now.

I have seen some with overkill and others that would have been better served with more staff.

Mostly, it lies in what the event can afford vs. what insurance demands vs. history and how much the local system has been drained in the past. Sometimes, you just don't know until the event has occurred for a few years.

Toni

When I worked EMS for a Large motorsports venue at a nascar track, we staffed with a minimum of 12 providers on duty for the 4 days leading up to friday, 6 trucks.

On friday[practice day , lots of spectators ] we ramped up to 25 providers plus a staffed infield hospital with a trauma team from the level 1 hospital.

Saturday & Sunday race days we had 75-85 providers and 25 trucks half a dozen golf carts and a gator. Population during the week around 10-20k , friday 35k weekend in the area of 120 thousand. we ran 24 hours a day for 7 days, twice a year in addition to other events every weekend from April through October , some of them with 30 -50k guest on the property. the local population was around 3800.

We brought in crews and trucks from a three state area owned by the corporation to be able to up staff for the big events.

Rule of thumb was 1 provider per 2500 guests minimum. we also staffed a medical center in the grandstand area with a Dr. and experienced staff to deal with all the maladies you find in a city of 100k+ population. We had 5 dedicated transport trucks assigned to that unit, to carry folks that had been treated from there to the two hospitals we used.

4 trucks dedicated to ON track at all times plus a couple infield transport trucks and the rest were assigned to respond to cover the 2000 plus acres of parking & campgrounds.

http://www.eventemsllc.com/

this service handles alot of big venue events in atlanta (practically all), you might call or email to see what formula or rationale they use. One of the services that I worked for usually staffed one ambulance, and then called the local 911 service for transport (unless it was a cardiac arrest or something critical). But kiwi is probably right, it will probably be all about price.

You might also want to get in contact with the Burning Man Event. They can help you figure out what you might need as well.

I went to one of their events and it was well let's just say entertaining and pretty cool.

NOt as a provider mind you but as a participant. Am thinking of going this year again as a participant.

• 3 weeks later...

The german speaking world uses something called the "Maurer Scheme". This is made up by a joint comitee of EMS&Fire Dept. Bosses....

It has a "point-score", depending on the type of the event, the estimated visitors, etc.

Those are added together and the final score give you a direction how many staff, ambulances, doctors, etc. you need. (Although the "doctor count" will be much higher due to system differences).

• 1 month later...

Bamboozle just came through NJ, a three day concert event on the shore. this was their apparatus for the weekend

May 18, 2012:

One BLS Unit

1 Staging Unit

4 Medical ATVs

One ALS Unit

1 Logistical Support truck to establish field hosptial

NIMS Type 1 MCRU (suppies for 100 patints each)

1 Physicians

Medical Ambulance Bus (Can transport up to 30 patients)

May 19, 2012:

4 BLS Unit

1 Staging Unit

4 Medical ATVs

One ALS Unit

1 Physicians

May 20, 2012:

3 BLS Unit

1 Staging Unit

4 Medical ATVs

One ALS Unit

1 Physicians

As well as approx 30-40 EMTs, a dozen Medics staffing a 20 bed field hospital and three 6 bed foreward medical tents

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.