What Is RIGHT With Your Organization or Company ?

I will not label all of EMS as generally negative, but in most of the organizations I have been affiliated with, it seems that we (among employees not managers per sae, although it probably happens there too) tend to point out what is wrong more than what is right. With the vast amount of different organizations represented in this room, there must be several that are doing at least one thing really really well.

So I ask you to name one thing that your organization does really well, and if you can provide a little detail, it may help another organization improve in that area ? If disclosing this might get you in trouble, because your employer is known, then describe something from a past company or neighbor that you admire.

In my current company, we have always been at the top technology and equipment wise, on everything from the radio system to the biometric locks on the drug box room. I often take for granted that there are organizations who do not have the tools that I do. We have been aggressive with lease agreements and grants to help us obtain what we wanted/needed.

Last service I worked for protocols were just that guidelines and nothing more.

But what I was proud of the most of one of my other places I worked was that there was no better place to go and hear the bitching and the moaning. If there was a contest for people to complain, a national reality show that gave a million dollars and was similar to survival, that service would have won hands down and taken home the million. That was what was right with that service. Thank GOD I'm not working there any more. Talk about a toxic place to work. That was many many moons ago though and they were bought up by a conglomerate.

Bachelors Degree for Paramedic

Post Graduate Diploma for Intensive Care Paramedic

Trials of extended care pathways

From eight levels in 2009 to three in 2012

Guidelines not protocols

Total clinical autonomy

Can leave people at home or refer them elsewhere

Recent changes from four providers to two

Amalgamation from seven geographic regions to four

Mandatory 40hrs of CCE per year

Excellent pay compared to US

Standardised induction pathway

Registration of Paramedics under the Health Practitioner Act coming soon

Stryker stretchers, no more Stollenwerks

Clinical Coaches and the national Clinical Support Team

No long spine boards or head blocks

Heavy investment in simulation technology

Things I do not like

Lack of Government interest in providing leadership i.e. no national ambulance service

Lack of an Act of Parliament for the Ambulance Service

Lack of nationalised decisions regarding vehicle design

A vehicle design primarily unchanged from the 1980s

Pay is crap compared to Canada, UK and AU

Pockets of the old entrenched culture that refuse to die

The attitude of some people

Volunteers

Volunteers will always be the group to which the standard is lowered to suit.

So just because volunteers don't get paid for dropping everything, leaving their loved ones in the middle of their childs birthday party, and risky their lives to help complete strangers, that makes them less important or less skilled?

Can we please not derail this topic and start a thing on this?

Agreed, just a sore subject.

What is RIGHT with my organization?...

Working with a great group of people who share a common goal. We may not all get along but when it comes down to it we are all there for the same reason.

So just because volunteers don't get paid for dropping everything, leaving their loved ones in the middle of their childs birthday party, and risky their lives to help complete strangers, that makes them less important or less skilled?

This is not a Volunteer bashing thread. Do not make this as such.

That is not what the original intent of the thread was.

If you want to understand what the volunteer issue is please do a search for vounteer versus paid in the search box and you will see that it has been discussed and discussed ad nauseum over and over again until the bones of the dead horse have scattered off to the 7 deserts. So let's end the discussion on volunteers here and now and get back to the original topic.

Otherwise Admin or Dwayne or AK are going to lock this if we aren't careful.

One thing that I'm proud of one of the places I've worked at is the way that we've been able to trial certain medical devices such as the FAST One IO device. Our service was one of the first civilian EMS systems to have this device. I was actually one of the first crew members to actually use the device at my service. Worked wonders on a unconscious critical GI bleed. We made it a standard of care until we began to use the EZ IO drill. While I'm no longer associated with the service, I believe that they still use both devices and allow either of the devices depending on medic preference.

Edited by Captain Kickass

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.