TV Commercial - BCBS Dissing Our Industry

mikeymedic1984

LOL that's funny :D

$84 a mo ... that's expensive, private insurance here is like $25/mo

Entire time i lived in US I didn't have insurance; so I always made sure to look twice before crossing the street

Oh if that female ambo wasn't Asian I'd totally do her

Edited by Kiwiology

These aren't dissing us. They are no different than any other industry trying to sell something at the expense of another industry.

Here's what you do. When you realize you are transporting the CEO of Blue Cross or another industry that has dissed us in the past, just make sure you miss that IO needle placement the first time or miss that 14 ga IV that could have been done with a 22 ga.

Make sure you barb the needle of the IM Injection that really could have waited till you got to the ER.

Have you seen how the ad industry makes the father's look out there? how they make the housewives or any other people out tehre look? It's amazing that we aren't just going postal every single day.

So you can be angry about this commercial which 15 minutes after someone sees it they will have forgotten what they have seen or you can focus your energy on something more productive, like let's say, What's for dinner tonight, which my answer would be "Beef" in my best immitation of that deep voiced guys voice who I can't remember his name right now but he played opposite of Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse.

Thats the guy. But my point is, The american people have the collective attention span of a pair of gnats. They won't remember that commercial 15 minutes after seeing it. IT's not important to them. If it doesn't get them to call BCBS in the first 2 minutes after seeing it then they won't call BCBS.

I wouldn't worry bout it. Put your outrage into something more constructive.

I think my biggest concern with the commercial is the fact they were tranporting a fibula fx with L&S. I wouldn't take it as a dig at EMS but at medicine in general but the rest of us don't drive by ATMs. The ironic thing, at least in my opinion is that it is the insurance industry that is helping to drive up the costs.

I think my biggest concern with the commercial is the fact they were tranporting a fibula fx with L&S

... but but but he might have shock with severe physiological abnormality from the trauma that caused his fractured fibula

That would classify him here as status one (or immediately life threatening problem) and make him eligible for lights and sirens

You silly Emergentologist clearly your imagination is not as active as mine :D

I would argue that his orthostatics were negative so the chances of him being in shock, especially hypovolemic shock are minimal. Sounds like CYA medicine, American style that you are advocating Kiwi.

But they easily did Orthostatics because he stood up and walked so he was NOT obviously orthostatic. And since we don't do many things via evidence based I'd say that his being NOT obviously orthostatic isn't evidence based but based on purely visible cues that he's not orthostatic. So he's ok and he doesn't qualify for lights and sirens.

But the mechanism of injury is of course the most common reason I've seen for a diesel bolus and l&S response and what with the need for a cash infusion to be delivered directly to the EMS crew during transport, he truly needed the L&S response and the stop by the ATM Machine.

Edited by Captain Kickass

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.