Can You Justify The Continuation Of The Current EMS Model(s) ?

That would involve an educational overhaul and of course, a battle with the very strong and well organised nursing groups. EMS in it's current state of malorganisation would not stand a chance.

It has not proliferated and progressive people can only take things so far in a fragmented environment where a common, significant impasse in certain areas is an argument about the colour of a first out bag. A united and well organised machine is required to negotiate the logistical, political and fiscal complexities of a nationwide movement. No such machine yet exists. It's a great pipe dream and one that has been the topic of more than one thread on this site. We need to overcome several obsticals at the grass roots level. Progressive people are badly needed here.

chbare is right, fighting a nursing organization is nearly impossible. They are top notch when it comes to organizing and promoting/protecting their interests (I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but just trying to point out what the opposition is). The fragmentation of EMS will also be a hinderance. You will have strong volley organizations and FDs who will fight tooth and nail to prevent any additional requirements. In the northeast, at least, the vollies run the show.

chbare is right, fighting a nursing organization is nearly impossible. They are top notch when it comes to organizing and promoting/protecting their interests

Wait, which is harder to fight; the nurses, the firefighters or the medical directors?

I'm progressive but unfortunately I haz teh funny accent so I'm not taken seriously :(

At one point I would have embarked upon a great, lengthy, sense-making deconstructive argument in favour of such suggestions but I no longer have the energy. Sorry bro.

I'm not sure which is harder between the FFs and nurses, but the medical directors are the easiest. Doctors, for the most part, suck at organizing and protecting themselves. In regards to EMS, most of us love you guys (even if we do laugh at you, especially the ones with the funny accents).

As I said over at EMS1.com the other week; it deeply saddens and disheartens me that things are so FUBAR in US

I loved living in the US; it's a great nation with much to offer and many wonderful people but it's also like following Alice down the rabbit hole (and WTF is up with the guy who wrote that being wasted on mushrooms? lol)

And you can hardly talk Dr I'm from Lawn Guyland about teh funny accent :D

Firefighters would probably be toughest. They're just as organized as nurses when it comes to this sort of thing and they're also able to garner public support faster than any other group in the US except possibly Orphans with Terminal Diseases. Believe me, unless you can get the fire services on the MHS side it ain't. gonna. happen.

• Like 3

Firefighters would probably be toughest. They're just as organized as nurses when it comes to this sort of thing and they're also able to garner public support faster than any other group in the US except possibly Orphans with Terminal Diseases. Believe me, unless you can get the fire services on the MHS side it ain't. gonna. happen.

This is actually a great point. Firefighters are very well organised in certain areas and in fire/ems dominated areas, implementing significant change would be very difficult without getting through the department/s.

Ok, we've discussed this into two pages. Now let's form a game plan to take it to the next level.

The biggest question, who has the time, the energy and the resources to put the framework together to start this?

Anyone? I bet I will hear crickets on this one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.