Banning Latex

Woody76559

Ban Latex gloves?  

33 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

So if there was no blood, no body fluids, I would go glove free out of respect to the patient with Sinpa Bifida; however if there was blood, I would try to minimize the level of touching to reduce exposure.

You need to read what I wrote again. :wink:

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. I happen to have a latex 'sensitivty' so therefore I choose to wear the Nitrile gloves. But by the same token......I am not going without BSI. That is the choice I choose to make. But if I encounter a patient that looks at me funny for having BSI on I make it clear to them that it is for their protection as well as mine.

No one was telling you that you should go glove free, I was just telling you how I do things. It has been proven that repated wear of latex gloves can lead to a sensitvity. I opt the remain glvoe free as long as possbile, I can always wash my hands. If they have no body fluids, or no open wounds I'm touching, I'll shake their hand bare handed...its no different then meeting someone off the street and shaking your hand for giving them a buck.

How do you explain to a person that needs full C-Spine precautions when you go to collar them and backboard them??? You tell them its for PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES so that they give you permission to do so. So why not tell that to someone who is C/O CP or SOB? Or even on a basic transfer with a patient?

Hmm, I don't think we are on the same page. I just gave an example of why I tell a patient I wear gloves. I never said I didn't explain all of the other things I was wanting to do to them. However; for c-spine I tell them I'm going to put this collar on them to keep their spine in alignment because I don't have an x-ray (most don't know the difference between an x-ray and a CT, to them its all the same).

What do ya do with someone who has MRSA of a wound, and when ya got the transfer dispatch did not inform you of the MRSA, (knowing you have a latex 'sensitivity') and you get to the floor and they do not have any latex free gloves? Should you go without BSI and take that risk to yourself and family? Or should you take a pair of gloves with ya?

When I did do transfers, I always took my own equipment. Maybe it is a habbit from 911, but I don't see walking into a hospital, home, or anywhere and not being able to work anything that is thrown at me by myself. I count on dispatch to give me a place to go, that is it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion and choices. If you choose not to wear BSI then that is YOUR choice. Myself, however, I have children and a family to think of, and I am not going to bring home anything to them that I don't have to. So my choice is to wear the Nitrile Purple gloves, and that is the choice that I am sticking to.

Well like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion and choices. If you choose not to wear BSI then that is YOUR choice. Myself, however, I have children and a family to think of, and I am not going to bring home anything to them that I don't have to. So my choice is to wear the Nitrile Purple gloves, and that is the choice that I am sticking to.

I wasn't insulting you or bashing your views. I simply think that not every single patient requires gloves. For instance, how many times out side of the medical field have you shaken the hand of stranger. Several if you've interviewed, bought a car, closed a deal, etc. My point is, that for all you know, that person could have just whipped their butts with their bare hand, checked their BS and happen to have HIV, etc.

If the patient is dirty, has body fluids on them, or appears like they might be expeling body fluids in the near future, then I dawn my BSI. If the patient is some little old lady who simply wants her BP checked, then I don't...I can always wash my hands. :wink: It just adds a personal touch...next time your in a hospital, notice how many doctors making rounds don't wear gloves.

I have a latex sentisivity... my view on the latex issue is that the service that you work in should be aware of any conditions that their workers have and have approprate gear... including non latex gloves... a major problem that i have had was that all of our airway equipment (OPA, ETT cuffs... ect) do have latex, and so do our 'sterile' gloves for labor calls.

A latex free service should be in place... just like peanut free schools...

You cant completely ban latex from every single service in this country. Latex has been the industry standard for years now. To abruptly ban latex at once would be like to ban computers from offices. IT aint gonna go voer well and its for sure not going to happen overnight.

But I do however see the concerns for using latex. People have developed a latex allergy due to prolonged exposure to it, cancer patients tend to have this as do healthcare providers. If this poses a serious enough reaction to be a health hazard then by all means do it, but keep in mind it would have to be gradual change. IE - as of this day all services in this area may not purchase latex gloves, and after this date they may not use latex gloves. Then move from state to state in the process and over a 2-5 year period latex would eventually be phased out.

Just my crumbly opinion.........

-Alco

I have a latex sensitivity. My agency is not latex free but they provide non-latex gloves. Sometimes, if money allows, they provide non-latex tourniquets. My sensitivity extends to most band aids and plastic tapes, transpor is an example. I get blistering welt from that tape. I wear a medic alert bracelet with this information.

I carry a non-latex kit for my use. It includes non-latex paper tape, gloves, and non-latex tourniquets. I've had to use this kit on patients when they have had a sensitivity. Most of my partners refuse to use the nitrile gloves unless the patient is sensitive. I've used both....I didn't have any problems with tactile issues.

The main issue I have is quality control. Sometimes I wear a medium, sometimes a small from the same manufacturer....just depends on the box of gloves.

Now, I'm going to play devils advocate and stir the pot up a bit. (Keep in mind this isn't a personal opinion.) Now, as an owner or director of a service; there is nothing in most state laws that require me to provide you with latex free gloves, however in Texas you must provide "assistance" in paying for such equipment for an employee.

On a side note; I know of a few services that have fired people who made a big enough stink about latex free gloves. (Although they had a legit reason to put on the papers, I still feel they were fired because of this.)

It is sad, but most for profit services are interested in their revenue, and latex free gloves often cost more then their latex counterparts. So for a while, until they come down in price...I don't foresee a latex free ambulance becoming the normal attitude out side of small private companies and municipal departments.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.