Brand New EMT-B..can't get a job because of age?

Hi everyone!

First off, my name is Shelby and I'm excited to be a part of this forum. :) I just completed the accelerated EMT program at UCLA, but I live in Sacramento. I am looking to get a job in Sacramento or Placer county..but I am beginning to become worried that it will be impossible because of my age. I am 19, and the more I read, it seems like you must be 21. None of the hospitals in my area are hiring ER techs. If anyone here knows of any agencies that hire at 19, it would be much appreciated! Thank you for reading my post and i look forward to making some friends here!!

The problem with being under 21 is the cost of insuring you to drive. Most underwriters think it unreasonable to give a teenager that much responsibility. I am not from CA so I will not be able to comment on specific places that hire under 21. I would advise looking for a job without the need for you to drive.

tsk is right. Insurance underwriters wont insure a driver of emergency vehicles who is under the age of 21. At this point the EMS field is saturated with EMT"s that have gone through the "puppy mill" classes. And most of them are finding it difficult to get hired anywhere.

Welcome to the forum! From what we see on the forums, it certainly seems like regardless of age the job market in CA can be challenging. As the other responses mentioned, it may be that 21 is the magic number for insurance.

So I guess the question now is what you do if you're not able to find an EMT job. Do you want to have a career in EMS? If so, many people on the forum would recommend taking some college anatomy and physiology (if not a whole AS or even BS) and then going on to EMT-P. If you do some digging around on the forums, you should be able to find some of the past discussion on this type of thing (hopefully we don't need to rehash any of those debates in this thread).

If you're dead set against further education or it isn't feasible for you for whatever reason, then I guess it would be time to move. Even moving somewhere else though, it won't be a walk in the park to find an EMT-B job at your age.

The other option, of course, would be to find a job that isn't in EMS and wait it out. I don't know that that is really the best option.

Your ability to put together a polite and coherent post obviously shows that you're not like a lot of the people who show up on these forums so I'm sure that you will figure something out. Personally, I would strongly advocate for going the education route.

The other reason that education is important (aside from being a good provider) is that EMS careers do not usually last to retirement at 65. Many of us don't even last to 35! You need to enter EMS with a plan on what you will do if (when?) someday you can't do front-line EMS. If you want to transition into something like management, education, or research, having a college degree will be quite helpful.

Best of luck with the job searching and decision making! Feel free to ask any other questions that you might have.

Thank you all for the replies! I've finally talked to a couple companies who say they hire at 18, so I suppose I will at least fill out the application and see what happens. I am currently in school for nursing, which is my long term goal. If I can't find a job directly in EMS, I am considering teaching CPR while I am still in school, and am hoping that having the EMT cert will at least give me an edge against competition. Thanks for the replies, I truly appreciate it!

You could try applying if that doesn't work get a Zoltar machine and wish upon it but don't turn into a creepy freak like Tom Hanks did and if that doesn't work hurry up and wait; use the time to go back to school and get some college A&P, chemistry, biology and microbiology done. It'll count towards an Associates Degree and will make you a better provider anyway regardless.

I was an EMT when I was 16, however, I had no intention of being gainfully employed as one at the time. Just happens to be some handy skills for a young, interested person to have, in the sticks.

I was an EMT when I was 16, however, I had no intention of being gainfully employed as one at the time. Just happens to be some handy skills for a young, interested person to have, in the sticks.

Did you actually have state licensure at 16?

Hi everyone!

First off, my name is Shelby and I'm excited to be a part of this forum. :)

Welcome to the city, Shelby! I wish I had some fantastic insight for you but, sadly, not so much. If this is what you want to do, don't give up. You mentioned local hospitals not hiring techs but what about doctor's offices or clinics? Nursing homes? Special events places? PPD or other drug testing places?

Toni

Yes, I had the full certification upon passing the test. It was the same EMT course that everyone else in the state took. The only difference was I was 16, and I only took it because I had interest.. and I got a really good score. The only stipulation, was that under the child labor act, I couldn't be alone in the back until I was 18. However, I still had the full cert, and nothing changed when I turned 18, I re-certified at 19.. and four times since. (or once every three years).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.