Suspended Driver's License - Problems Finding a Job?

sarahd

I don't understand --- if you get arrested for underage drinking in the US, you can have your driver's license suspended?

Out of curiousity, how much does the drinking age vary by state?

Obviously, I'm not in the states, but I don't see the issue with somnone drinking underage and then doing EMS. I'm sure most of us have drank before the legal age in the regions we've grown up in, most of us have probably been lucky enough not to get caught. Why is this a big deal?

I must be missing something here.

I don't understand --- if you get arrested for underage drinking in the US, you can have your driver's license suspended?

Out of curiousity, how much does the drinking age vary by state?

Obviously, I'm not in the states, but I don't see the issue with somnone drinking underage and then doing EMS. I'm sure most of us have drank before the legal age in the regions we've grown up in, most of us have probably been lucky enough not to get caught. Why is this a big deal?

I must be missing something here.

The drinking age in all 50 states is 21 years of age.

Underage Drinking

Alcohol use by persons under age 21 years is a major public health problem.1 Alcohol is the most commonly used and abused drug among youth in the United States, more than tobacco and illicit drugs. Although drinking by persons under the age of 21 is illegal, people aged 12 to 20 years drink 11% of all alcohol consumed in the United States.2 More than 90% of this alcohol is consumed in the form of binge drinks.2 On average, underage drinkers consume more drinks per drinking occasion than adult drinkers.3 In 2008, there were approximately 190,000 emergency rooms visits by persons under age 21 for injuries and other conditions linked to alcohol.4

Drinking Levels among Youth

The 2009 Youth Risk Behavior Survey5 found that among high school students, during the past 30 days

• 42% drank some amount of alcohol.
  • 24% binge drank.
  • 10% drove after drinking alcohol.
  • 28% rode with a driver who had been drinking alcohol.

Other national surveys indicate

• In 2008 the National Survey on Drug Use and Healthicon_out.png reported that 28% of youth aged 12 to 20 years drink alcohol and 19% reported binge drinking.6
  • In 2009, the Monitoring the Future Surveyicon_out.png reported that 37% of 8th graders and 72% of 12th graders had tried alcohol, and 15% of 8th graders and 44% of 12th graders drank during the past month.7

The above from the Center for Disease Control aka CDC

No - he shouldn't have a problem getting certified although he me may; it seems in US any Tom, Dick and Harry the Pisshead can roll up and take the course

Yes - he will very likely have a problems finding a job or it will simply be impossible to find one; either because of his age (may be an insurance factor for any potential employer as he is under 21) or his suspended license or very likely both.

Tough luck I say on the latter.

I know in this part of the world a suspended license shows up for two years if suspended by the issuer or for seven years if suspended by the court; either of these will automatically disqualify you from not only the Ambulance Service (and many other jobs) but also the Paramedic Degree program.

Here's the dirt.. I only know this, because when someone is sentenced to do community service, the individual offender is responsible to find the service he or she will perform. Often, it involves like cleaning up a park, etc. But on occasion, they'll ask the fire companies if they need anything done. In fact a group of them painted our whole station, and did a damn fine job too. I'm usually the person they coordinate with, so I get to hear their stories while I in no uncertain terms, babysit them.

In the Commonwealth; if a person under the age of 21 is *convicted* of being in possession of; or under the influence of alcohol; they automatically lose their driving privileges for a period of 90 days. This is a suspension, not a revocation. With each additional conviction, the amount of time increases. Finally, after the third, they just lock you up. If the person is aged 14... When they turn 16, they have that 90 day wait hanging over them. However, if they plead guilty; at age 18, the conviction is expunged from their record. But only for first time offenders. They'll of course also be fined, and slapped with 16 or 24hrs of community service; eg 4-6 four hour days for minors; or 2-3 eight hour days for adults. As child labor laws prohibit them from working a full 8 hours of community service.

If the person in question is applying for EMT-B, or MFR, and is under 18, and was convicted; they have to report that when filling out the application for the course. Same if they're over 18. You don't have to report like a traffic violation, only convictions. If it's expunged, then it's not a concern. A drivers license is not required to be an EMT or MFR; as no part of the course requires one to drive the ambulance. However, getting a job as an EMT, will require it, as that's what *most EMT's are paid to do; drive paramedics. Unless it's a service that only staffs two EMT's.

My boyfriend is looking into becoming an EMT - his driver's license is suspended until August 2012 (because of underage drinking, two years ago - nothing to do with actually driving). Should he expect any issues in becoming certified because of this?

Uhm, maybe. I am curious....is he just about to turn 18? Because if he is an adult and his license is still suspended, I have to call BS on this.

Also, I don't know about every state, but here the suspension happens for repeated offenses. This in and of itself raises concerns. The background check may sink you.

He is also curious to know if the fact that his driver's license has been suspended will affect his ability to find a job in this field (in any of the 50 states) once he is certified. Any info on this subject would be very helpful; thanks in advance!

At my service it is a concern, because of the maturity /character issues, not so much of the driving. NOW.... let your boyfriend put about five years between him and this offense, with some good life choices and resume building to balance out his "youthful indiscretions" and he may have a chance.

I know, life is SOOOO unfair when you are held accountable for your choices as an adult. :punk:

kinda draconian to suspend a licence for drinking when it didn't involve driving. But that's just my opinion.

Thus lies our suspicion that there is much much more to this situation that just underage drinking.

His license would be reinstated by the time he would test to become certified, does that not make a difference? Yes, he has a tainted past, but this occurred two years ago, and wasn't even a misdemeanor. In any case, I appreciate all of your responses!

If it wasn't even a misdemeanor then it has to have been a felony right? Because I don't think there's anything else right? Misdemeanor or felony. I mean there might be a administrative thing but 2 years suspension of a drivers license is pretty harsh for an administrative thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.